Solar, I have no clue...which would you use?

littlechick1005

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Maine
If I do gather up the finances and see it fit to move my hens and geese out of the barn and into homes of their own what could I do about lights and electricity?

Edit* -Im leaning towards solar if possible...which one of these kits would be suitable to run 2 heated waterers, 2 light bulbs and a single 250w heat lamp full time in the winter months?

I have no idea what im looking for and am not good with technical math lol.

http://www.solarhome.org/solarstarterkits.aspx

Thank you!

Last edited:
We are currently having proper electricity and lights put in the barn. Previously we had run a heavy duty extension cord through pvc and partially burried it and used a plug strip with a GFI in the garage to plug it in. We had rope lights run around the stalls and extra plugs for fans and fly spray and it has worked well with the exception of rainy weather when it trips the system.

in maine, we don't get much sun in the winter. I have solar light that was to be used for a coop light. it is motion activated and will turn on about 1 night out 3-4 of being off so not any good for the coop. if you go with a grid tied system, the state of maine and fed government will pick up some of the tab. $2000 from the state of maine, and 30% from the feds. you will save the cost of batteries by being grid tied and if you over produce the electric company will be paying you.
might be something to look into.

If I do gather up the finances and see it fit to move my hens and geese out of the barn and into homes of their own what could I do about lights and electricity?

Edit* -Im leaning towards solar if possible...which one of these kits would be suitable to run 2 heated waterers, 2 light bulbs and a single 250w heat lamp full time in the winter months?

I have no idea what im looking for and am not good with technical math lol.

http://www.solarhome.org/solarstarterkits.aspx

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom