SOLD-Ameraucanas/Marans/Faverolles heavy pics added

Quote:
WOW those are stunners I wish I could get a rooster for my girls and add some more faverolle hens they are my favorites along with the marans.

Henry

picture failed....sorry

OK I got a question about the linage of my birds PM'd and I want to make it clear that these are MY birds. I mention their start because I want to make you feel comfortable that they are not an unknown but.... well I'll just copy and paste my answer here for everybody to read:

"Our(Ameraucana) breeding stock primarily came from Paul Smith and Lisa Cree. This was several years ago and credit or blame for our current stock can not be given to anyone else but us. We found the Smith birds to be very nice but light weight with occasional willow legs, while the Cree birds had a high percentage of clean faces. All had nice feather color. We have spent much time and effort breeding a hardy, heavier bodied bird with very full muffs and beards and dependable leg color. We raised 30+ cockerels last year to select our breeding roosters from. Egg color has been perfected in a shiny blue egg without exception almost to the end of the laying cycle.

What I know about chicken genetics would fit in a thimble with room to spare and I breed by phenotype alone. I do not keep pedigrees on my birds but know when I have achieved what I like and love in them and this is it."

This would also be true of our other breeds. We have not gotten new birds recently except the Faverolles from Pointus and when we dropped them in with ours they were so similar that we could no longer pick them out. So I hope that answers any 'chicken snob' questions you may have.

Blessings,
Melissa

Last edited:
Thanks Amy!

I love to see the birds that have come from my eggs. It is hard to believer Leroy is 8 lbs at 5 months... what a bruser! The colors will continue to improve and you will start to see the white wing tips just about when they are fixed. The comb on the other roo could be better... am I counting more than five points? if so I wouldn't use him for breeding.

I know there are lots of folks here with the last generation or two of Ameraucanas... anybody want to share? Some of you have actually been to the farm... and anyone who lives close enough is always welcome to come out here and see and touch our birds. We raise the breeds we love and select for beauty, gentleness and of course those wonderful egg colors!

I realy want to keep prices reasonable. The idea here is for you to have lovely birds, not for me to get rich. So I am deciding on prices now. Oh course I have to cover costs as I am not rich but want to be fair. If you have suggestions PM me If you have a special situation PM me. We were able to donate eggs to Kindergarten classes last year and to help send chickens to an Indian reservation so they could grow eggs and meat. I love to be a help and am hoping to do more of that here at BYC this year and take less of my eggs to auction.

The Golden Cuckoos will have to be my pictures, but you are in for something special. I only sold two sets of eggs last year and none the year before but you are in for a treat when you see how we spent our time last year on these ones!

Now if I can just figure out how to operate my new camera!

Melissa

Edited because I am a bad speller and a perfectionist:lol:

Last edited:
Hi Peace,

We have had chickens for about 20+ years. We had production type birds then got a wonderful flock of Easter Eggers from a freind who was moving. They were already older hens so we messed around with breeding them for replacement layers and varried egg colors. Came up with blue, greeen, olive, turquoise, putty, tan, grey/silver, lavender, etc. There are still some folks here that have some of those birds.

We started in Ameraucanas, Favs and Marans about 3 years ago. We had to start from hatching eggs as there wasn't anyone close that bred our varieties. It was then that I realized the perils of hatching eggs.

Anyway what you see here is three years of hard work and careful culling. We now see mostly nice birds from each hatch and rarely have a bird that I wouldn't be proud to call my own. I am hoping that others that have our birds will post pictures like Amy did as that says it all.

Remember that each time you buy hatching eggs you are getting the parent birds PLUS... That is plus whatever has been done in breeding for good or bad. I like the fact that the birds people hatch from my eggs will be nicer... better... than the parent stock I own.

I also love to see someone wind up with a great hatch and healthy peeps! To that end we are careful to do all we can. Of the 150 sets of hatching eggs that left here last year I had 5 people with unsucessful hatches. Even many we thought were going to go bad like Amy who got 8 eggs that wound up in the PO for two extra days in the heat had good hatches. I had one lady who called crying because her eggs 'froze' (they arrived refrigerator cold after an unexpected blizzard) and she hatched 9 of 12.

Folks have sent us back pictures and one fellow even sent a video of his hatching, lol! That is what makes this fun for me. I have a full time, high stress, day job and if the birds/eggs ever got to be stressful they would have to go!

We have made lots of 'chicken friends' and have helped our local schools and 4Her's and are having fun.... Now the cows... they are a little stressful!

Be Blessed,
Melissa

Oh and just for fun here is a pic of some of the old EE flock

chickenpictures0252.jpg

Back
Top Bottom