Sold our eggs at the Farmer's Market !!

For all my Iowa Peeps.....

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5062527&acct=wdmgeninfo

Specifically......

"Part VII: State and Local Regulations
“Farmers’ market” means a marketplace which seasonally operates principally as a common market for fresh fruits and vegetables on a retail basis for off-the-premise consumption.” Code of Iowa Section 137F.1.5
A. Food Establishment/Food Processing Plant license Licenses
“A vendor who offers a product for sale at a farmers’ market shall have the sole responsibility to obtain and maintain any license required to sell or distribute such products.” Code of Iowa, Section 137F.8
The following products may be sold at a farmers’ market without being licensed under the
Code of Iowa, Section 137F.8:

1. Baked goods which are non-potentially hazardous* or shelf-stable bakery products (non-perishable items that do not require refrigeration for food safety reasons). The term baked goods is limited to: breads, cakes, doughnuts, pastries, buns, rolls, cookies, biscuits, and pies (except meat pies).
2. Wholesome fresh eggs that are kept at an ambient temperature of 45 F or below.
3. Pre-packaged, shelf stable food products such as honey, jams, jellies, or dried noodles. These products must be properly labeled.
4. Non-potentially hazardous food products, shelf-stable products, prepared on the premise of a residence.
5. Fresh fruits and vegetables. "

Oh Snap.....Yea for Iowa
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Hello everyone...
For those of you who already sell your eggs...tell me what you use to wash your eggs, what your standards are. I gave eggs away last year inside our local VFW Club, but I am still new at all this. Last year I had a dozen eggs every two days. This year, I have 50 hens, so I expect eggs.
Thank you.

Quote:
Hi,
Candling license?

Do you mean to candle eggs? If so you don't need a lisense, just a bright flashlight.
wink.png

I don't know what it all entails to have this candling license but I assume it is different than just being able to candle your incubating eggs. They may have a dfferent name for it but tht is what they referred to it as.

Well, what is it exactly then?

Quote:
My 70 year old mother grew up on a farm with 3,000 laying hens. She told me "You don't wash eggs, it'll cause them to rot". Being the know it all son I said OK mom what ever. Then I got on the internet and you know what I found out? You don't wash eggs, it can cause them to rot.
hmm.png
My mom said they would remove 'dirt' with very fine grit sand paper.

Boy, I wish I had more than 1 girl laying right now, my other is trying to get over being broody! Our bobcat problem has screwed up our flock! If I get more I'm definately getting a table at our local farmers market here. They don't even sell eggs! Mostly crafts and have a few veggie stands.

I just use a clean damp cloth to wipe off the ones that have any visible "dirt" on them. We try to keep the nests very clean with new hay every couple of days. This helps to prevent them from getting dirty in the first place.

eggcartons.com has an eggwash poweder that you can use. You just have to be sure to use water that is warmer than the egg itself.

Quote:
I don't know what it all entails to have this candling license but I assume it is different than just being able to candle your incubating eggs. They may have a dfferent name for it but tht is what they referred to it as.

Well, what is it exactly then?

Sorry been really busy working and then the school's state football tournament, first time in 16 years to go there.

I called the office and asked what the license entails and it is filling out application, test and then showing them that you can candle and grade eggs. I don't know exactly why they just call it a candling license. I am not the one that named it.

Back
Top Bottom