Soldier Gifts for Those In Iraq....AWESOME pics!!!!

Quote:
You would really be surprised at what the soldiers can come up with. When Jason was over there the first time I did send him grass seeds, veggies seeds to plant, even a few strawberry snippings, heck yeah even flower bulbs/seeds.

When the grass grew in I think the guys enjoyed that the most. Of course it was nothing like at home. But it was something. They would walk on the little bits they had, and one even grew a nice little patch of grass in the shape of the arrow(for the red arrow brigade). That was not Jason, but someone with him.
The veggies and flowers were kinda touch and go. But they enjoyed planting, growing, and tending to the stuff. Even Jason who is really not into that at home. Still doesn't really help in the gardens or flower beds. He does mow though...Of course it is a rider...Back on track....Some of the guys would even go out with sisscors and cut the grass. They all took pride in what they grew over there....
They came up with miniture water systems and everything for these little 'gardens'. And water for them was ALWAYS on very short supply.
I already have a few seed packets ready I plan on sending him this time too...

That is a good idea I am sure someone in my sons platoon would like to do that...thanks

Not a problem. I know with Jason getting ready for his 2nd deployment I have been starting to remember alot of things I had sent him. Or even things he has asked for. I wonder if there is a topic just for that stuff...Maybe I'll start one....(I think I said that once before and never did it)

Funny you mention that....

We do have a couple of "patches" of grass around here.....
Someone started it, and units that have replaced him, have kept it up. Funny thing is, when I saw it for the first time, I was like...WOW!!!....lol....

It was a nice sight! and rememberence of home.

Right out the backdoor of Troy's we built a "serenity" garden. It is a small trellis with some artificial flowers on it... Even that, looks nice against all the concrete and rocks..

We do try ..... to bring a little bit of home here...

Down to 7 weeks.... but who is counting???...lol...

Quote:
...lol...

YEAH!!!!!
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

Sometimes I know the counting 'down' to come home is harder than the beginning where you are counting 'up' the days since you got there...
Jason (and others) have sent pictures of different little things some of the soldiers try to start growing while over in Iraq. Sometimes there imagination just ran wild, other times it was like they were trying to make it as 'homey' as possible. Well as possible as can be when surrounded with dust, dirt, cement, and the heat.
When he was deployed the first time he was at FOB O'Ryan. This time I really am not sure where he will be going. I know at one time there was talk about the FOB being FOB Grizzly. But that has since changed I believe. I know the FOBs are always changing names so they might not even be called that anymore. Who knows.
Glad to see your count down is getting smaller (pretty soon you'll beable to count the weeks on one hand--Then the days...That's the hard part.

Last edited:
Athena
Andrew called me yesterday and said he is finally in permenate quarters...and needs sheets... he has been going on patrol every day for 8 hrs a day and hardly has time for meals...if you could send him some protein foods it may get there faster than my boxes...he says some times he gets them in 5 days and other times it has been weeks...I try to send him something every week...the cost flat rate has gone up a buck...I really think APO packages should be discounted...
Have you found anyone to take over for you??? I hope someone has stepped up... March will be here before you know it...Pam

Back
Top Bottom