Sollen Eye and Growth on Cream Legbar pullet

Darlagips

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 1, 2012
Splendora, TX

Can anyone tell me what I might be dealing with here? I saw a runny eye on this pullet day before yesterday. I started her on a Corid treatment in her water and separated her from the rest of her group. This morning, one of her eyes is swollen shut, and the other is starting to get weepy, too. Also, a pretty good sized black bump near her beak has shown up. Has anyone else had any experience with this? What is it? What should I do about it? I'm willing to try anything - cause I really like these legbars.

This morning both eyes were shut, so I took warm cloths and bathed them. The least affected eye is back open. Then, I decided to "soak" the other eye that had the hard crust-like stuff over it. That crust pulled off, and I was able to open the lid. When I opened it, there was a cheesy-like substance in it - almost like a scrambled egg. I don't think it was a worm, as it came out completely and broke apart in my fingers. She seems to feel better - but I guess I won't know if that helped at all until later. I also gave her a dose of Tylan yesterday. I'm hoping I can save this little pullet. Was kind of forced to do something drastic this morning cause she couldn't see to get to water or food.

This morning both eyes were shut, so I took warm cloths and bathed them. The least affected eye is back open. Then, I decided to "soak" the other eye that had the hard crust-like stuff over it. That crust pulled off, and I was able to open the lid. When I opened it, there was a cheesy-like substance in it - almost like a scrambled egg. I don't think it was a worm, as it came out completely and broke apart in my fingers. She seems to feel better - but I guess I won't know if that helped at all until later. I also gave her a dose of Tylan yesterday. I'm hoping I can save this little pullet. Was kind of forced to do something drastic this morning cause she couldn't see to get to water or food.
It really sounds like eye worm.

*Other members say no, but I'm pretty dang sure that it is, the picture match up pretty well to me*
7dbe0edd_IMAG0086.jpeg
21433_dsci1073.jpg
47684_addie_color.jpg

Last edited:
The cheesy-like stuff is what I call "chicken puss". It sounds like she has some type of respiratory infection and or sinusitis. I'd keep giving the Tylan.

I agree with Casportpony. Most likely it's a respiratory disease, definitely not eyeworm. Tylan will work, but the bird can still transmit whatever respiratory disease it is to other birds. Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Take a look at Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Symptoms vary with each strain of the particular disease in question.

I'm gonna keep her on the Tylan. Don't hear any rattlings like a respiratory thing - but sure could be. I am pretty sure she has some type of fowl pox as well. Where do you get vaccines for that so the rest of my flock won't get it? Anybody know?

Back
Top Bottom