Solved noisy chicken problem

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rnaj44, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Rnaj44

Rnaj44 New Egg

Aug 27, 2014
    We have 5 chickens 2 years old. All raised since chicks. About 3 months ago one was waking up early every morning and making an initial clucking sound then belting out a bakawwww about 12-15 times...ohh at the crack of first light. She was not laying and was outside the coop in her large enclosed run. In fact the whole coop and run are fully enclosed.

We tried everything and nothing was working. I literally was on my last leg and was offering her up to a local rescue farm. Just when we were about to give up I noticed her behavior one morning when she was waking us up soo dam early...the same chicken...

She was pacing and at times not pacing. Wasn't sure what to make of it since she had plenty of feed and water. Maybe she is bored I thought?

The last thing I tired was I placed a large plastic plate which now rests off the ground but is accessible to them and I placed all kinds of scraps from apples, melons and lettus and meal worms on the plate AFTER they go to bed. Not much just enough to be a treat when they wake up. Really I did it for the one trouble maker. It has been 2 months now and she has been super quiet. No problems at all. Unreal....I had to share this trick in case anyone is loosing their minds from an early riser.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    do you think it might work with early rising roosters too?

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] That is a great tip, thanks for sharing!

4. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

What ever it takes I guess! Sometimes we really need to learn their language to help is raise them. :)

Enjoy your wonderful flock and welcome to ours!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! That is interesting, she was looking for an early morning snack, glad you were able to figure out how to make her happy.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

9. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Welcome to the flock! Enjoy your chickens! :)

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by