Some causes of EARLY CHICK MORTALITY

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggchel, Mar 18, 2008.

1. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Songster

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Very sorry you have run into such troubles. I don't know what would be a likely cause. I really hope things smooth out. [​IMG]

I think it was a good idea to remove the wood chips, though. Since those are from fresh wood, they would be prone to mold more than dried wood shavings. We put a bunch of huge piles of "power-company-generated" woodchips in our pasture & had problems with our horses eating them & developing chronic cough. Didn't expect that. Had to spread the piles, plus put in slow hay feeders to give the horses something else to nibble on for more of the day.

On further thought, I believe fumes from some types of freshly cut wood aren't very good for chickens so maybe that or mold could have contributed to chick problems??

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. calliescluckers

calliescluckers In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    I just got my chicks. They have a heat lamp and a heater outside the brooder because it's pretty cold still in my basement. Some of them are fine and venturing around, yet some are huddled tigh under the lamp. Are they cold from the long trip from the hatchery or do I need to make it hotter?

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Songster

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    You can try lowering the lamp an inch or two & seeing if the chicks act less cold & spread out more...

4. lauranickerson

lauranickerson Songster

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    Posting to save.

5. Arizonachick

Arizonachick In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2012
    UPDATE- So I talked to my vet (he keeps chickens as well) and he suggested antibiotics added to water, however I also talked to a woman who used to own a local hatchery and she thought it was the weather and new unproven mothers. She was right. Since the weather warmed, haven't lost a single chick- everyone's been very healthy and thriving. I did take one singleton chick away from its mother and brooded her indoors with some mail ordered chicks that came in at the same time, but every other broody that I have outside who hatched chicks is doing exceptionally well. Thank goodness.

6. ajpisciotta

ajpisciotta In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2016
    I have 14 chicks in a large tub presently, they are going on 3 weeks old, thinking of putting little girls in hen house, but I am concerned about 50-60 degree temps at night, (live in Louisiana 75 degrees during day) I lost all my hens to a fox, or some other predator, will there be any chance of disease spreading from adult hens to baby chicks.
    I can close off all openings, so chicks will be safe, just concerned about temps and danger of disease.
    All my hens were healthy...before they were killed by predator.

Thanks, appreciate any info on this matter
    Anthony

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: