Some chickens have stopped laying cold weather has come now what?

maoriauctions

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 22, 2007
I introduced 4 new hens recently which were laying they have now stopped, my main hen hasnt layed since nov, i also have some chicks from around that time when would they start to lay. Our daylight savings has finshed so we are now coming into winter months.

oh ok, i get it now thanks for that, hopfully they will start to lay soon, our eggs are really starting to get ultra expensive now

I have the same problem I live in melton Vic and have 16 girls that are of laying age. Up to recently they were laying 10 eggs now on average I'm getting 3-6 eggs. They have begun the winter molt as there are feathers eveywhere. But that doesnt stop them eating. I still enjoy watching my chooks I hope they start laying more eggs soon.

some hens will stop laying due to stress.caused from being moved to a new home.that they arnt used to.an it may take them a month to start laying again.

When my chickens do their winter molt, they stop laying for a couple three months. They are 6 years old now. When they were younger they wouldn't stop laying for that long, just a couple weeks while they molted, but laid less often during winter. If it was a mild winter, they would start laying sooner. This winter was pretty cold so they didn't lay for about 3 months. My chickens are outside, they have a covered area, but not fully enclosed.

Back
Top Bottom