Some Look Ready, Some Look a Week Behind

Bicoastal

Songster
Dec 14, 2020
Central VA
Day 20 and five eggs are nearly full of a dark, moving embryo. Exciting!! But just as many only have a kidney-bean blog. Are these eggs far behind in development but still viable? Or did all but five fail?

If there is a small, defined mass should I leave it in? Does detached, floating liquid mean a quitter? Unfortunately the details aren’t showing up well in the photos.

Any harm in letting them stay as long as they don’t stink? I’m perplexed that five are so far along and others are so far behind. Doesn’t seem like they can possibly hatch at the same time.

I’m so disappointed only five look good out of 22! I’m discarding 7 a day waiting for this incubation cycle. 😭 Five isn’t really worth it.

Incubation info:
Nurture Right 360
Started May 27
Humidity 30-40%
Temp 99.5

Attachments

• IMG_3367.jpeg
    IMG_3367.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3364.jpeg
    IMG_3364.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3361.jpeg
    IMG_3361.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3359.jpeg
    IMG_3359.jpeg
    384.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3357.jpeg
    IMG_3357.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 10
Yes, those are definitely dead. I'm sorry. Even if they are that small still, you'd see them wiggling around.
Can we help identify what may have gone wrong? I just had an ABYSMAL duck hatch myself. 7 out of 25. And I had to help most of those hatch.

The first image, 3367, is actually a full, active, viable egg. Photos really don't show what the naked eye sees.

These are guinea eggs that started May 27. So they have four to six more days to go. Should I remove all but the five full, dark, actively moving eggs? Or leave some of the bean-sized ones to see if they catch up?

@theprov31gal yes, I would love to learn what is going wrong. Discarding seven eggs a day waiting for a hatch of five is devastatingly sad and wasteful.

This is my second batch ever. For my first batch, I tried to keep humidity between 40 - 50% but had a hard time keeping it consistent. This second batch I am aiming for 30 - 40% humidity because I thought I could keep that range more consistently. It has been more consistent. I have candled and handled the eggs less. Overall, I thought the second batch was having better conditions than the first.

The oldest egg is May 19. Hatch started May 27.

If it is more appropriate for me start a thread in the Hatch-Along, please let me know and I'll be happy to do that. I wish I could wipe the slate clean and start over. 😢

The first image, 3367, is actually a full, active, viable egg. Photos really don't show what the naked eye sees.

These are guinea eggs that started May 27. So they have four to six more days to go. Should I remove all but the five full, dark, actively moving eggs? Or leave some of the bean-sized ones to see if they catch up?

@theprov31gal yes, I would love to learn what is going wrong. Discarding seven eggs a day waiting for a hatch of five is devastatingly sad and wasteful.

This is my second batch ever. For my first batch, I tried to keep humidity between 40 - 50% but had a hard time keeping it consistent. This second batch I am aiming for 30 - 40% humidity because I thought I could keep that range more consistently. It has been more consistent. I have candled and handled the eggs less. Overall, I thought the second batch was having better conditions than the first.

If it is more appropriate for me start a thread in the Hatch-Along, please let me know and I'll be happy to do that. I wish I could wipe the slate clean and start over. 😢
Any eggs with a blob that floats as you move the egg and no veins is gone
The one at the top that looks full does look good
I was only referring to the ones that you explained looked behind

Any eggs with a blob that floats as you move the egg and no veins is gone
The one at the top that looks full does look good
I tossed all of the floaty blob ones. Only kept the ones that are obviously live. That’s five. 😭

Clears are sort of bad luck. A floaty blob was a viable egg until it quit. An egg failing after some development… that means conditions aren’t right.

Now to regroup and figure out what to do differently next round.

I’m at a loss. Like I said, this hatch seemed more consistent and ideal than the previous hatch. Super clean eggs, consistent temp and humidity.

I tossed all of the floaty blob ones. Only kept the ones that are obviously live. That’s five. 😭

Clears are sort of bad luck. A floaty blob was a viable egg until it quit. An egg failing after some development… that means conditions aren’t right.

Now to regroup and figure out what to do differently next round.

I’m at a loss. Like I said, this hatch seemed more consistent and ideal than the previous hatch. Super clean eggs, consistent temp and humidity.
Not always the case
Some babies are weak and don’t develop
Eggs can be handled rough causing a start then quit
You still have 5 doing good so that says things must be okay or you would have lost them all

Okay, I am so fortunate to come across your post! I have nest of Guinea eggs that I had candled less than a week before placing them in the incubator….. and i have a very wide range of development as well…. Basically the hen laid her nest but only did some brooding…. They are still in the incubator and none have have hatched yet but have the veins and activity inside… some have spots idk what that means…. And this is my first time to do candling. Growing up we just put them in an incubator and waited to see what happened lol….. I NEED help! LOL

Back
Top Bottom