Some MEDICATED chicken feed may be poisonous for horses

Southern States, I know for sure. Just bought some not too long ago because I needed game bird starter and medicated was all they had available at the time. I had no clue it could be toxic to other animals until I got home and looked it up.
Thanks!

Cross contamination happens when grain is milled in the same facility that also runs cattle/poultry/swine feeds.

Horse people in particular tend to demand horse feeds be the only variation processed at a facility. At least once a year there is an instance of cross-contamination that results in sick horses, or show horses blood test positive for illegal substances present in medicated feeds. Purina does not mill other livestock feeds at their horse facilities for purity control reasons.

As for the dog, who knows what size dose the poor dog ate. As with any medication, if you take it without having something to cure, side effects occur. I know ivermectin can attack the neuro system if overdosed, resulting in seizures, blindness or death.

My apologies, it does seem that ionophores are only sold as a poultry additive now. I should have said "livestock" instead of "poultry" in my previous post. It's still very easy to find cattle and goat feeds that contain Rumensin (monensin). Bovatec (lasalocid) is in many lamb starters and sheep supplements.

I have horses so in general I stay away from any brand that doesn't have separate mills. When I had cattle I was very, very careful about buying un-medicated feed and I still stored it far from the horses and their feed.
I've never purchased medicated poultry feed or chick starter and again, it has always been stored far from the horses and their feed.

My apologies, it does seem that ionophores are only sold as a poultry additive now. I should have said "livestock" instead of "poultry" in my previous post. It's still very easy to find cattle and goat feeds that contain Rumensin (monensin). Bovatec (lasalocid) is in many lamb starters and sheep supplements.

I have horses so in general I stay away from any brand that doesn't have separate mills. When I had cattle I was very, very careful about buying un-medicated feed and I still stored it far from the horses and their feed.
I've never purchased medicated poultry feed or chick starter and again, it has always been stored far from the horses and their feed.

No need to apologize. I think this entire thing is super interesting.

Amprolium is given to dogs for Coccidiosis.
I find it very strange that eating it in a chicken feed would harm a dog.

Sounds like your dog had something else going on it with it.

Just returned home from follow up visit for my yorkie at the vet. Amprolium is given to dogs for Coccidiosis with a very important B12 additive. Amprolium is deadly to dogs without the B12 additive which my vet assures me is common knowledge for those who dose their dogs with it because the dog medication has the B12 already in it (she showed me the medication with it plain on the label B12 supplement). Amprolium without the B12 additive can kill a dog within one month. My yorkie's blood panel the first week of February (normal check up visit for Bordetella vaccination) was completely normal. Vet visit after second seizure in two days 3/7/2019 white blood count (5.5 starts normal range) hers was 18.11 (HIGH), red blood count (5.5 starts normal range) hers was 3.47 (LOW) after 10 days of nibbling at medicated chick feed. We are now starting our 3rd week of NO ACCESS TO AMPROLIUM tainted chick feed and still on B12 booster to get her back to where she was previous to chowing on the AMPROLIUM laced feed.
My vet got a good laugh that everyone here thought my yorkie must have been sick before. This has been a nerve racking 2 weeks but my yorkie is on her way back to her old (4 years old) self. She has one more appointment in 4 weeks for ANOTHER blood panel to ensure that she is 100%. By the way Vet said that if she would have been allowed to eat it for another 10 days she would have died from a Thiamine Deficiency.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is great that they figured out the problem. Nobody wants to see a dog die. That being said.....

My vet got a good laugh that everyone here thought my yorkie must have been sick before.

We armchair vet diagnose since we care. And are curious about stuff. Have you seen the lengths people here go to find scientific research to support most of their claims? Or citing vet manuals, etc...? And in almost all cases, they advocate for a vet visit if it is beyond their knowledge.

I will guarantee that the folks on here who care about this type of thing are going to file away the info you just gave about B12 in their brains and pull it back out next time this topic comes up. I'll bet a dollar. Your vet sounds sort of like an a-hole......sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom