Some questions on guinea fowl(please help)

pringle

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Pepperell,MA
I really really reallllllllyyyyyyyy want a couple of guineas but I have some questions first.I know there are different breeds of them,are there any breeds that are kinda quiet?Ive heard they are good at tick control is this true?Can I freerange them in my yard or will they fly off,I plan on hatching them so theyll be used to me.What kind of feed do they eat?If anyone can answer atleast 1 of these questions ill be happy.Thanks

my GS has about 20, and they do make a lot of noise but its usually when something unfamilur(sp) comes around. yes they are great on keeping down the ticks, before he got his gianas we had to do a tick search evertime either person or dog went out and came in this year no ticks at all. his range about half mile area.summer they roost in tree in his front yard, winter they roost in the cedar trees in my back yard, they donot make good pets, but i love watching them., they eat cracked corn, and any other scrapts just like my chickens, and I usually turn my chickens out to free range about noon every day and the guians come over and they roam together. marrie

How cold are your winters there?I dont they would survive roosting here in winter,do you think they would go back in there coop atnight in winter?I dont really mind them being a bit feral.As long as there safe from predators im ok.Maybe pick off a few once a year for dinner but thats it.

well it was freezing last night, and it snows here. we live near murfreesboro, if you want to check out a line on the map, to see if we are north or south of you.Good Luck, the hen hides her nest really good, and the male stays close to the nest. the babies are so cute you really get addicted to them marrie

There aren't really different breeds. There are 2 species in the US. The helmeted guinea fowl that everyone keeps and the vulturine guinea fowl that are pretty rare to find. They are generally only kept penned in warm climates. They do not survive cold. The common guinea fowl do not have breeds. They have colors but it's the same as a chocolate lab or a yellow lab. Same characteristics just a different look. All guinea fowl are loud. They can free range but it's somewhat difficult to train them to sleep in a chicken coop and odds are they won't lay there. They'll usually try to roost on top of the coop or another building or else in a nearby tree. They are hardy towards cold but they will get eaten by predators. If you want to keep them safe you'll have to collect them every night for awhile until they start sleeping in the coop and then occasionally after that. Otherwise it's best to start with several more than you want to keep around. To hatch their eggs you'll have to go on an egg hunt or lock them in a pen. I don't know too many people who's guineas lay in the coop much less nest boxes. They prefer to just find a dip in the ground to widen or somewhere out of the coop to hide. The person I got mine from uses an existing large shed for chickens and guinea fowl and has stuck wire across one end to make a breeding pen. When he wants eggs from a certain color he sticks them in there so he can collect them instead of hunting the yard for them. The rest of his birds come and go as they please.

I'm doing research too. Do you have to have a 'flock' or will several be fine? If I got any, I would try to house them with a pair of BR turkeys, a pair of pilgrims and 5 mixed ducks. There will be plenty of room. Or would they do better cooped up with my chickens? They all free range. Sounds like cooping them up for the night will be a challenge. Can you coax them with treats? I wonder if I can pass off a guinea as a chicken?
hmm.png
My DH says NO! But I'm not giving up yet.
fl.gif

Quote:
If there is a such thing as a quiet guinea--please let me know!
lol.png
They are loud and obnoxious! Awesome bug and pest control.

Mine all free-range and roost in the cedar trees at night. They rode out snow/blizzard/ice storms last winter in the trees and were just fine (not my choice, but I can't catch the little boogers). If you hatch them and keep them penned up for a few weeks they should stay "home". I feed mine non-medicated gamebird starter from the day they hatch till they die. They like cracked corn and scratch, too!

Henry'schickens :

I'm doing research too. Do you have to have a 'flock' or will several be fine? If I got any, I would try to house them with a pair of BR turkeys, a pair of pilgrims and 5 mixed ducks. There will be plenty of room. Or would they do better cooped up with my chickens? They all free range. Sounds like cooping them up for the night will be a challenge. Can you coax them with treats? I wonder if I can pass off a guinea as a chicken?
hmm.png
My DH says NO! But I'm not giving up yet.
fl.gif

If you learn how to catch them, please let me know, man them things can run, they lay and set in places where they can hide their nests, the cats here have eaten all of my GS babies, and I enjoyed so much.,pass one off as a chicken, Not unless the other person was blind, and deaf. they make great watchdogs, and are NEVER quite when close to the house, they come over and roam with my chickens but roost with them, Never in this lifetime. they are rude, arrogant and self sufficent.
idunno.gif
wonder if that is why I love them so as DH says like to like marrie​

Quote:
If you learn how to catch them, please let me know, man them things can run, they lay and set in places where they can hide their nests, the cats here have eaten all of my GS babies, and I enjoyed so much.,pass one off as a chicken, Not unless the other person was blind, and deaf. they make great watchdogs, and are NEVER quite when close to the house, they come over and roam with my chickens but roost with them, Never in this lifetime. they are rude, arrogant and self sufficent.
idunno.gif
wonder if that is why I love them so as DH says like to like marrie

Soooo,,,,,,,,

Are you saying that I should get some? And DH's gonna know what they are.
wink.png

The noise is the reason why he wont let me get any. He says our pilgrim geese are loud enough. Maybe I can get DD to ask 'Daddy' if she can get some.
wink.png

If you have geese. WHY is he complaining about guianas making noise. to me comparing a goose and a guiana is like comparing a great dane, and a toy poodle, I have never heard a guiana make as much noise as geese. If no other way try DD, anything that works, once you get them he will be as hooked as you are. marrie

Back
Top Bottom