Some questions, should I be worried?

PurpleDaze

Songster
May 12, 2020
Central Texas
So I just noticed that one of my Marans has 6 toe nails, but only 4 toes. Is this a normal thing that happens? Should I be worried? Will this cause any issues you can think of?
IMG_20200609_200332__01.jpg
IMG_20200609_200247__01__01.jpg

Ooh wacky. Unless it causes issues I'd leave it alone. Might have to trim the bigger one if it starts growing too long (smaller one might stay small) but other than that I don't think it'll really impede the bird any.
Thank you, would I use regular mail clippers (like for people) to trim it? Or is there a certain kind for chickens? First time chicken owner. 😊

You could just lightly squeeze one (careful, you don't want to hurt them) and if it is a nail it will be solid. If it squishes or oozes a tiny bit of liquid, it's probably a feather. I have a male that gets ingrown feathers a ton

Thank you, would I use regular mail clippers (like for people) to trim it? Or is there a certain kind for chickens? First time chicken owner. 😊

If it does turn out to be nails, you can either use something like a dog/cat nail trimmer, or an emery board to file it down enough so that it's not in the way. If it is a nail there will probably a blood rich quick inside, so you don't want to trim too far and nick it or it'll bleed a lot.

If it does turn out to be nails, you can either use something like a dog/cat nail trimmer, or an emery board to file it down enough so that it's not in the way. If it is a nail there will probably a blood rich quick inside, so you don't want to trim too far and nick it or it'll bleed a lot.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom