Some week old chicks starting to make gurgling sounds.

Mr Maran

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
Phoenix,AZ
Some week old chicks are starting to make some gurgling noises. I am using shaved pine bedding. I chekced their throats but they all have clear throats. One of them looks like it is trying to cough and another is sneezing. I will be administering AVC to protect the rest of my young flock but please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

We need more info. Did you just get these birds? Did you get them from a reputable source? Have they been quarantined? Do you have any other birds?

I just got them last Tuesday and Wednesday. THe healthiest ones cam e form a lady my mother met and then the ones that I believe to have caused the infection came form a feed store that I do not trust and then some perfectly fine ones came from another feed store. All in all I believe they came from good places. I have other birds but these are outside and the chicks are in the garage. The only form of quarantine they have had has been in a lage metal horse feeder with eachother. I really wish my mother hadn't got the sickest chicks from the place I dont like. It's a place called the Feedbarn LLC.

Poly vi sol vitamins without iron works like magic! I couldn't live without it when my girls were babies! It literally saved their lives.

You can put it in their water or down their beak.

Thanks so much. I have 30 chicks and I couldn't bear to lose that many. This will be my second flock, and my first big one so I am really eager to keep them alive so that I can have eggs to eat, and some to sell as well.

I am sorry to say this, but for the protection of the rest of your flock outside, I would cull the lot. These birds have signs of a respiratory infection which is a big deal in poultry. Some respiratory infections can be treated, but render the exposed bird a carrier for life. That bird will spread the disease to any other birds it comes in contact with even if the carrier appears perfectly healthy. I am not sure which birds were the original carriers, but it is obviously spreading through the group. This is why quarantining new birds is so important. They will likely be starting to die off shortly anyways, so you may not need do any culling. Nature may take care of that for you. If they do start dying or you decide to cull, it would probably be wise to send some in for testing to see exactly what you are dealing with. Your local county extension office can help you with this.

You will need to practice excellent biosecurity as long as you have any of these chicks around to prevent this infection from getting to the rest of your flock. You will need to be meticulous when caring for your birds, including changing out your clothing and shoes in between visiting groups. Clean all instruments, feeders, waterers with bleach before using them on any other birds. Frequent handwashing, etc.

I am sorry you find yourself in this situation. Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom