Somebody's been practicing crowing...

havery

Songster
6 Years
Feb 27, 2015
East Texas
And I think my 9 week old Welsummer is the culprit. He/she had the perfect eyeliner and V markings as a chick so I assumed pullet, but now...

I'm pretty sure it's a roo.
1f625.png

Welsummer roos are gorgeous! Will you be able to keep him?

He's a cockerel. Between the comb/wattle growth and the plumage pattern (pullets do not feather in with all that black) and now the crowing your boy is doing everything but holding up a sing that reads, "Hello, I'm a cockerel". Do you have any baby pictures? Reading the markings can be trickier than some expect and they can be misread - especially with hatchery stock.

Welsummer roos are gorgeous! Will you be able to keep him?
We'll see. It is probably going to depend on his temperament. He's sweet to me, but I don't want anyone beating up on my hens. I've had such good luck with introducing new birds and everyone getting along I don't want a single rooster to disrupt my good juju! They are gorgeous though! Also, we'll see about the noise factor. I live in a rural area and outside of city limits so no one can officially complain, but I try to keep my birds away from property lines just as a good gesture.

Do you have any baby pictures? Reading the markings can be trickier than some expect and they can be misread - especially with hatchery stock.

I can't believe I don't have any baby pictures, how crazy! He was hatchery stock, so I'm not completely surprised. Also not devastated, I know it happens sometimes, at least he seems to be pretty good-natured so maybe he'll be nice to my hens and can stick around. I've got a little golden laced wyandotte pullet (definitely a pullet on that one!) that was/is the runt of the brooder and about half his size that bosses him around, it's hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom