Someone cut my rooster’s beak! 😡😭

stargirl

Songster
10 Years
Jun 15, 2011
UK
Eagley is my hand-raised rooster of mystery heritage. He’s a sweetheart with people he knows but can be territorial towards new humans.

He lives in my neighbour’s flock but he’s very much MY rooster. I visit him most days and we sit together for hours.

Yesterday I went down and was met with this:

B90C9390-CB8B-4D0B-AF57-26CAF8AAE8F8.jpeg

Worse still, his chest feathers were all stained with blood.

41D79DC4-18C7-4C6C-81B6-AA8C71D17317.jpeg

He was unable to eat any of the treats I’d taken him like sweetcorn, and had an empty crop. I assumed he must have injured his beak somehow so I took him home for some first aid and messaged my neighbour to let him know what had happened.

He replied to say his friend “Bruce” had done it “to stop him attacking people” and that “he should be ok soon”!

There is honestly SO much for me to unpack and sort out here, but my immediate concern for Eagley is - will it grow back?
I’ve had ex battery hens who had been clipped and their beaks never regrew. How far is too far?

Currently he can only manage very soft food like scrambled eggs and pellets made into a super wet mash. His tongue comes out a lot when he eats - I don’t think the pictures show just how bad this is tbh 😢
Is that likely to improve? He’ll adapt, right?

I’ve sterilised the wound and the bleeding has resolved. He isn’t showing any severe signs of pain but birds are so sneaky about hiding it… do you guys think I should be giving him any pain relief?

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience you can share.

Eagley is my hand-raised rooster of mystery heritage. He’s a sweetheart with people he knows but can be territorial towards new humans.

He lives in my neighbour’s flock but he’s very much MY rooster. I visit him most days and we sit together for hours.

Yesterday I went down and was met with this:

View attachment 3052395

Worse still, his chest feathers were all stained with blood.

View attachment 3052396

He was unable to eat any of the treats I’d taken him like sweetcorn, and had an empty crop. I assumed he must have injured his beak somehow so I took him home for some first aid and messaged my neighbour to let him know what had happened.

He replied to say his friend “Bruce” had done it “to stop him attacking people” and that “he should be ok soon”!

There is honestly SO much for me to unpack and sort out here, but my immediate concern for Eagley is - will it grow back?
I’ve had ex battery hens who had been clipped and their beaks never regrew. How far is too far?

Currently he can only manage very soft food like scrambled eggs and pellets made into a super wet mash. His tongue comes out a lot when he eats - I don’t think the pictures show just how bad this is tbh 😢
Is that likely to improve? He’ll adapt, right?

I’ve sterilised the wound and the bleeding has resolved. He isn’t showing any severe signs of pain but birds are so sneaky about hiding it… do you guys think I should be giving him any pain relief?

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience you can share.
Im sorry but that is so cruel I am speechless

I'm so sorry about your baby! That's just plain wrong in my opinion. I don't believe the beak will grow back unfortunately if it drew blood... in time he should adapt. It won't be immediatel though- over the next few weeks I would try adding less and less water to the feed to see if he can manage more solid foods. The eggs are good for him either way though!

If you can get ahold of some, I would give him Colloidal Silver (2mL of 250ppm- 500ppm is safe too, just half the dosage.) It's completely safe for humans and all animals and it'll boost his immune system and help fight any possible infections from the wound. I've given it to parrots, quail, chickens, geese, dog and cats and it has always helped. I'm not too sure what could be given to help reduce pain though... I would just try to keep him comfortable 🙂

I'm sorry this happened, it must be hard. I hope he heals up alright and he should. I don't think there's much pain involved, so I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe once he's healed, you can fashion an upper beak out of fake nails and super glue.
There's not enough information for me to really go off regarding who is at fault here.
I'm not sure about UK laws but if he lives with your neighbors flock, he's their rooster. unless you pay some sort of rent or for the feed for him. Or a verbal or written agreement.
"Bruce" shouldn't have clipped him since it won't keep him from flaring up and it's a bit cruel, your neighbors shouldn't have let "Bruce" if they were aware you were the owner of the rooster. We don't even know if there were some escalating events leading to this.

Wait....your rooster is on someone else's property attacking people? I'm sorry this happened but it could have been much worse and you would have no legal recourse. I have family in a somewhat (I assume) similar situation where they have an open fence between two big properties where animals from both sides were allowed back and forth. Until one rooster got mean and my family's rooster had his neck snapped by the neighbor. Now the gate is closed between the properties.

Back
Top Bottom