1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SOMEONE HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrsherman, Apr 29, 2008.

1. mrsherman

mrsherman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Michigan
    :eek:
    Ok i am on day 20 i did candle last night and what am i looking for?? I just see large blobs.. my eggs are dark but now what??? i hand turn them twice a day..someone HELP!!!!

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Sounds like they're ready to hatch... On day 20 they're pretty much filling the egg, so you're not going to see much, if any, movement. Get them in the hatcher, don't turn them anymore, and sit on your hands! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, that's about it. [​IMG]

Seriously, you can't see anything at that point. Put them in and wait.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Don't turn them at all now! They're getting in position to hatch. And you can't see anything now anyway. I'd not candle after Day 18.

5. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    This is the most stressful time of incubating. Don't open the incubator for anything. And I think it would be better to try 3 times a day next time because the mother hen turns them up to 95 times a day, also, if you turn them an odd # of times a day then the embryo won't be on the same side of the egg during the night (which is the longest time it goes w/o turning in artificial incubation).

6. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Good luck. Don't open the bator at all and make sure you have a decent humidity. I have one egg moving on day 18/19 so I understand where you're at. This is the most stressful time of the whole experience.

Happy hatching! [​IMG]

7. mrsherman

Apr 9, 2008
    Michigan
    I only looked at one of them..and did see some movement..other than that i have only candled them once..I have a still air bater and i dont have anything to check humminty with...now what?
    spell check..

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Is there moisture condensing on the lid? If so, then you're probably ok. I add another small bowl of warm water (yogurt containers seem to be my "bowl" of choice) on day 18 to add to the humidity. You can get a relatively inexpensive thermometer/hygrometer on ebay, or your store. Or you can use the wet-bulb method, which uses two thermometers, one wet and one dry, to test the humidity. I'd say at this point just add another small bowl of water and keep it full, but don't touch anything else. And the waiting begins... [​IMG]

9. mrsherman

Apr 9, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG] I Have a New bABY!!!!

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] Congratulations, momma! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by