Someone please explain this

these bout all i havr at the moment

I've had several different looking silkies. None have been obvious for guessing their sex with the exception of the rooster I posted above. The only reason we guessed him correctly was because his comb was huge and red by 8 weeks old and he started crowing after that.

My silky hatched four chicks from her own eggs and all from the same rooster. They are all different looking. I am guessing one is a rooster based on attitude and he's bigger than the others. But until they either crow or lay I don't get rid of them.

My white leghorn chicks I had there were some I was convinced were pullets because their combs were shorter than the others, suddenly the combs shot up and turned red on all but one chick. The one that stayed small ended up being a pullet, the rest were roosters.

Well congratulations on your new egg-producer. ;) Maybe she is just the runt and that is why her size was so much smaller? The largest number of chicks I have ever had from one hatch was a group of 4 RIRs. They all had the same mother/father but they are all very different. One clearly was a roo from the huge comb but the other three have been very different from each other in terms of size, tail feather development, and comb development.

Check for spurs. if he/she has any, its a rooster. if he/she dosent/ its a hen. VERY RARELY do hens get spurs

The spur will be right above the foot on the inside of the leg. Silkies are kind of slow spur developers though, IMO. My oldest Silkie roo is maybe 8 months old and still only has small pointy bumps where his spurs will be. But you said this bird laid an egg, right? Regardless of spurs, that makes it a hen. :)

Tryn to upload pic but BYC wont let me. Anyways the one with comb and waddle i thought was a roo has NO spur and the one i thought was a hen has No comb or waddles but has Large spurs.

Back
Top Bottom