Someone please HELP!!!!!!!

Pics
I have a hen that has been broody for about two months. All she wants to do is sit on a nest, regardless of whether she has an egg or not. I know its normal for broodies to only come out to eat and drink, but she's loosing weight and hasn't laid an egg in about two weeks. Any thoughts? I would love to allow her to sit on fertilized eggs, butI figured that its too late in the year.

Julierebek,
That is normal broody hens to loose weight. It would be a personal choice on if you want chicks though the winter or not. You could make a brooder box and put it in the garage if its cold where you are. Or you could just discourage her. She will not lay eggs until she is done brooding. We have to physically remove our brooder every night at feed time so she can eat, drink & POOP (the big brooder poop)! But she is a good brooder. We do not let her brood during the fall or winter. Just don't have time to deal with it.

JensChickies,
Kathy has also taught me so much on this thread. I am buying tubing tomorrow. Just in case I ever need it. And now I know how to use it. Thanks for posting this thread & all the info on it. I am still hoping your results are negative for Mareks.
fl.gif

I have a hen that has been broody for about two months. All she wants to do is sit on a nest, regardless of whether she has an egg or not. I know its normal for broodies to only come out to eat and drink, but she's loosing weight and hasn't laid an egg in about two weeks. Any thoughts? I would love to allow her to sit on fertilized eggs, butI figured that its too late in the year.
Sounds like you need to break her now. I place mine in a large pen on the ground that is covered, and only has a roosting bar and grass on the ground. They spend 5 days in there with food and water, and I usually put another hen in for company. Rarely do I have to put them back for a few more days, since most break by then. It's a good time to give them some extra protein and probiotics to help them gain some weight.

Julierebek,

That is normal broody hens to loose weight.  It would be a personal choice on if you want chicks though the winter or not.  You could make a brooder box and put it in the garage if its cold where you are.  Or you could just discourage her.  She will not lay eggs until she is done brooding. We have to physically remove our brooder every night at feed time so she can eat, drink & POOP (the big brooder poop)!  But she is a good brooder.  We do not let her brood during the fall or winter.  Just don't have time to deal with it.

JensChickies,
 Kathy has also taught me so much on this thread.  I am buying tubing tomorrow.  Just in case I ever need it.  And now I know how to use it.  Thanks for posting this thread & all the info on it.  I am still hoping your results are negative for Mareks.:fl

Thank you Outpost JWB. Even if it is Mereks at least I have learned a lot. I am glad you found it helpful. It gives me some peace in knowing another chicken can be helped if needed. It's almost as if I hate to go through this but at least my sweet pullet can teach others. :)

Good luck with your broody hen. :)

My little silkie hen spent half her life being broody and sitting on air in the nest. What I did (I live in Florida) was move her nest into a Rubbermaid storage container on it's side. Now I don't worry about her being inside all the time. She's actually outside with a bit of enclosure-but not much. Other than that, the only other broody is a pigeon who lives here.

Sounds like you need to break her now. I place mine in a large pen on the ground that is covered, and only has a roosting bar and grass on the ground. They spend 5 days in there with food and water, and I usually put another hen in for company. Rarely do I have to put them back for a few more days, since most break by then. It's a good time to give them some extra protein and probiotics to help them gain some weight.

That is a great way to break her. We have tried placing ice under the hen several times, physically removing her several times, just about everything. Everything except remove the nest box, or the hen from the next box. Thanks for the great idea when another decides she wants to brood!

Back
Top Bottom