Someone stole my silkies!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sutillman, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Rammy

Rammy Crowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    If you cant find one at Walmart, check your local Sporting Goods stores, like Bass Pro Shops or if you have a Sports Academy near by. I got several of my game cams from them. They had a huge selection. If I were to recommend one, get the Bushnell Trophy Cam. They are small, take video, easy to hide, and if you get the lithium batteries< ultimate> they last a year before needing new ones. I plan on getting a few more to hide around my property due to not so nice neighbors. [​IMG] Hope you find out who or what took your chickies.

Rammy

2. TajMaChicken

TajMaChicken Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    Hernando, MS
    Uuuggggghhhh...... I swear some people...... I am very sorry this happened to you! I know how upset I was when we had a bobcat stole my ducks, but I had to tell myself that it was nature. This is not nature! This is a total lack of respect for others! I hope it gets back to the person who did this! And your son.....I am so so sorry!

I hope you get some justice![​IMG]

3. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Songster

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I hope those good-for-nothing thieves are brought to justice! [​IMG]

To think nowadays even our chicken coops aren't safe from thieves anymore. [​IMG]

4. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    When we were living in NC I sold my first set of birds. Well, I was out of town looking for our new house(long story) anyways, I was contacted and this fellow and his son wanted to buy some birds I advertised. I told my DH which ones he was to sell - everything was banded/labeled.

So guy shows up. Asks about another set of birds. DH calls. I told him no. Fast forward two weeks. I get back to town and check all my birds and there are 3 pullets missing! I said to DH didn't you COUNT them everyday. He said no. I asked if he sold any more than he was supposed to, he swears up and down no. I do believe him. What I think happened was the guy came back and took what I wouldn't sell him - my split pullets.

Of course, I can't prove it. But I don't let people come to my house anymore to buy birds. I meet them somewhere because I don't need people knowing what I have or don't have in my barn.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I would definitely report this to the police. Depending on your local laws and the worth of the birds it can go from a misdemeanor to a felony. If they laugh at you, tell them you will be picking up the report in the afternoon and they better have it ready. Theft is a crime in any state. Remind them that if WalMart called them about someone shoplifting a lipstick (worth a WHOLE lot less than your birds) they would not only file a report, the would go to the store and arrest the criminal. So sorry that someone took your birds [​IMG]

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles &amp; Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I lock my coop and runs every day. We have a LOT of teenagers in the area and I worry that they'd let the birds out just for spite. The only bird I ever lost to a predator was because a neighbor let the hen out of the cage she was in. The was a SQ buff silkie, the only one I ever successfully hatched that was SQ [​IMG]

I hope you get your buffies back.

7. Icee33

Icee33 In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    JONES/Edmond Oklahoma
    I may add a lock after reading this....
    Thanks for sharing....

8. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I lock my gate to the backyard (where my coop is) and I lock the run, I also have a lock on the coop and the windows. I'm always terrified that someone will sneak in and take them. I'm so sorry to hear about your birds.

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Songster

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    You need to report this to the police. I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope you find them. [​IMG] That is so disgusting it makes me so [​IMG] [​IMG] The nerve of some people. I am putting locks on my pens today. Once again I am so sorry.

10. geeky_farmer

geeky_farmer In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    My hubby and I talk about "Two legged deer" which means people who walk into our fields and steal anything from zuchinni to tomatoes, peppers to beets. Last year we had some "Two legged deer" take about a bushle of radishes (out best guess based on how much of the row was picked.

Maybe we should start talking about "Tow legged predators!"

Good luck, I hope they do not come back...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: