Someone tell me please what is wrong with these hens!?

MandyH

You'll shoot your eye out!
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
Elvis' birthplace......
My husband brought home some hens from a man that was mistreating them and now they are gurgling when they breathe, their eyes are bubbling some junk out and look like they have been in a fight, and they have diarrhea, oh and they are coughing. Thank God I know better than to just throw in new chickens with mine. They are by themselves AWAY from my others. What in the heck is this?

Hard to know for sure without a vet inspection, necropsy, etc., But whatever it is it doesn't sound good. You gotta be very careful haveing poultry like these around since wild birds, rodents, even feather dander can spread this farther than you might think. Could be CRD or some other rspiratory ailment, but that is just a guess... Culling them may seem cruel, but you gotta be concerned with the health of your flock. After all, with alot of poultry illnesses, you may be able to "cure" the disease symptoms, but these fowl will continue to be carrirers that can affect your flock...

good luck

Oh, the poor things. It doesn't sound good. How many hens are there?
I'd say your options are to either bring a representative bird in for a check-up or a necropsy to see if what they have is curable, or just cull the whole bunch. It's a sad thing, but it doesn't sound like something from which they will improve, even with you now giving them good care. I hope I'm wrong, though. Keep us posted.

If they are eating and drinking you may want to add some unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to their water. My wife would ad some ACV and water through an eyedropper.

Vinegar: A Natural Approach to Avian Management
By Wanda Barras

"Many herbalists recommend the use of raw, unpasteurized, unheated, organic apple cider vinegar as an important dietary ingredient for humans, farm animals and pets, including birds. The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care describes apple cider vinegar in this way: "Long a folk remedy, cider vinegar has been shown to improve the health of dairy cows, horses, dogs and other animals. It reduces common infections, aids whelping, improves stamina, prevents muscle fatigue after exercise, increases resistance to disease and protects against food poisoning. Cider vinegar is rich in the vitamins, minerals and trace elements found in apples, especially potassium; it normalizes acid levels [pH] in the stomach, improves digestion and the assimilation of nutrients, reduces intestinal and fecal odors, helps cure constipation, alleviates some of the symptoms of arthritis and helps prevent bladder stones and urinary tract infections."

Vinegar Through The Ages

Vinegar has been used to cure ailments for centuries. For hundreds of years, folk medicine practitioners have recommended daily doses of apple cider vinegar, not only for specific medical problems, but also for overall food health. In Asia vinegar is called the friend of Chinese herbs because it is often used to process herbal preparations. It is also successfully used in modern Chinese medicine.

While in China for 3 weeks I had some severe diarrhea at supper that evening they gave me some rice vinegar to drink and the next day I was fine. Occasionally while having lunch or dinner they would order a bottle that look like wine but I know it was made of rice vinegar and other ingredients my wife told me it was medicinal. Well I acquired quite the taste for it, to where I actually enjoyed drinking, it was somewhat carbonated but it sure worked well for me.

Last edited:
To me it sounds almost like pneumonia, but I really can't offer any help. I suspect shortening the time they spend suffering like that is the best way to go, as you implied.

-MTchick

I'm sorry you have sick chickens.
sad.png
Is there any cure for pnemonia in chickens? I think if it was me and I had just my 11 then it would be no big deal to treat them if you can....but for 100 that suddenly becomes a huge ordeal. I don't blame you one bit for wanting to protect your flock. I'm sorry it is even a choice you have to make.

Back
Top Bottom