Someone Tossed this in my Coop.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by andreanar, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    I have had litters of kittens and cats “dropped off,” but NEVER a chicken! What a lucky girl to have “found” you! Best wishes!

2. New2Chicks97

New2Chicks97 Songster

Jul 3, 2018
    Washington State
    Looks like she ended up in the right place. She looks happy and now that you have dealt with her cooties hopefully healthy too!

I wonder if this was one of those cases where someone got chickens because they were cute and fluffy as chicks then wasn’t prepared to deal with full grown birds long term? I see a lot of chickens and rabbits for that matter on Craigslist because they were cute as babies but not so cute now that they come with responsibilities. Also, chickens on Craigslist because they simply decided that a few eggs aren’t worth the work & money.

People really should think things through before getting animals as animals are a long term commitment.

3. andreanar

andreanar Crowing

May 16, 2014
    Finger Lakes, NY
    So so weird!! Our girls are all molting right now. My sister saw her come out of the coop and thought our silver laced Wyandotte changed colors from molting! :lau:rolleyes:

UGH! :eek:

4. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    I don’t know what it’s like where you live. I live in a very small town. We post things at the post office, hardware store our small grocery store. Iffin it were me I’d make a flyer with her pic and some educational information about what impact “dumping” a gift chicken can do. You know the health of YOUR flock and how with a little effort (care and concern) they could of done the responsible thing. You just might teach someone something. Around here I’d know in one day who dunnitt’. I would also put a bit in there for the excellent lesson they taught their children. I’d be nice about it but I would definitely do some public shaming. Or at least try to teach people there’s a better way. I truly hope she turns out to be a beloved (perhaps a favorite) little hen.

5. Koitoy

Koitoy Chirping

Jun 28, 2014
    I sure hope no one does that to me. I live in town and we are allowed 10 hens, which I think is very generous. But Im at my limit. Lol. Good luck with your new hen.

6. lovingmyhens

lovingmyhens Songster

Oct 20, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    I’m o the Houston chickens Facebook and someone just posted that someone tossed a rooster into their yard. Crazy what people feel they can do.

7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Oh my.

8. andreanar

andreanar Crowing

May 16, 2014
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I could understand if it was a rooster that got tossed! I get it, people don't want, or cant keep roo's and tend to do irresponsible things to get rid of them. But why would someone toss out a pretty hen? I keep thinking something must be wrong with her, why else get rid of her? She appears healthy, poop looks good and normal, nice red plumpy wattles and comb. Legs and feet look good. Maybe she's too old to lay eggs, so ppl didn't want her anymore? I don't know but people are disgusting. This really could put my little flock in danger healthwise.

9. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Don't forget about the cats, stray cat Central in my town.:barnie

10. Poultrybreeder

Poultrybreeder Crowing

Apr 21, 2017
    New Mexico
    Like others have said, looks to be a Barred Rock, sorry she had lice. I had something similar happen, although the chicken was not left one of my various broodpens (I don't keep coops, just pens) it was in my yard. At first I thought it was one of my Old English Game Bantam/ Pit Game Crosses, but then I discovered it wasn't one of them. I'm assuming she was silver duckwing from the looks of her chicks (Yeah I ended up breeding her like 5 times. I'm terrible I know.) She looked just like an OEGB, but with a pea comb, and she was just a little bit larger. So now I see I am not the only one this has happened to, glad I'm not alone lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: