Something attacked my hen Graphic pics

What a horrible injury! It's amazing she is alive. I wish you luck whatever you do.
hugs.gif

I had a hen who got injured while we were away 2 years ago, not sure if it was as bad as what you have there though. Luckily my vet saw her and cleaned out the wound. There were maggots (something you'd need to really think about) and stitched her back up. She got anesthesia, antibiotics, pain meds and fluids because she had been injured for days and my chicken sitter hadn't noticed. She had a gaping wound from her vent up to the middle of her chest. It closed and she even grew back feathers after the first molt after the injury. I wish you the best of luck with your hen, any possibility you can take her somewhere so they can try and close the wound, maybe she'd heal better and faster that way.

I concur with those who want to wait. I like what Ewe Sheep had to say.
I have seen horrendous things heal - with time and care.

I don't actually see that the vent was torn, just NEXT to the vent. If this is the case, I have great hopes for her. It depends how deep that went. The runny pooppy situation may be sprained muscles. 3 days should tell all.

Please keep us informed but more so, PLEASE be ready to put her out of her misery within 2 to 4 hours of her taking a turn for the worse. Have a plan and the equipment ready NOW. Steel your mind. I did it this way: I reasoned with myself that she had a great life - longer, happier and healthier than any battery chicken ever had a hope of. She loves me and I loved her back. I gave her good food, good surroundings and a happy life. This will be my final gift to her.

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.
hugs.gif

Denise
Paradise Found

Last edited:
i think a fox would do more.. they normally kill them. Cat i don't think can do that sort of damange to a chicken! Not sure...
Daisy. xx

Thank you EVERYBODY for all the advice. I am going to see what happens over the next couple of days. I put a triple antibiotic on her, and gave her some hard boiled egg which she has been eating. She is still preening every now and then and her comb and wattles are still deep pink. She looks pretty good except for her rear end, she is resting now and thanks everyone for their concern.

Edited:

BTW her name is Elvis, don't ask. I will keep you all updated

Last edited:
I'm the same way. I have seen worse than that and they survived. Your best bet is line the skin up the best that you can and stitch her up. It pains me to see people so quick to kill a chicken that has a chance.

Back
Top Bottom