Something chewing through fencing

1dog1cat6chicks

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Southwestern PA
Our hens have a movable run, thanks to the Omlet fencing we purchased. We connected each end of it to a portion of permanent fencing (round posts with galvanized fencing stapled to it) so we can move the Omlet fencing so they don't completely destroy all the grass and can have fresh ground regularly. We really like the movability of the Omlet fencing, but SOMETHING keeps chewing holes through it, near the bottom. We suspect rabbits, since the coop is near the woods and near huge hemlock trees but of course we aren't sure.
A couple of areas were chewed enough that a couple of our hens were able to get out! I was able to patch it up using some nylon twine we had, but I noticed a LOT of other parts of the fence are chewed-not big enough (YET!) for the hens to squeeze through, but I clearly need to figure something out. I realize I can purchase a 'repair kit' from Omlet, but are there any ways to deter the critters from chewing it in the first place?? We spent a decent amount of money on this, and the fencing isn't that old yet--probably a bit more than a year, but less than two years....and we don't want to put up a permanent fence.
Does anyone have any suggestions for repelling these fence-chewing critters?

We didn't get the electrified fence, since our only source of electric is a heavy duty extension cord which we run out there in the winter to power a 'cookie tin water heater'; we can't leave the extension cord out year round, because we would mow over it.
Do you have a link to solar powered e fencing?

a hotbox with solar
will work great.. we ran a strand on the bottom of our coop.. but we also concreted ours into the ground around 3 inches or so. Racoons and possums will try to chew thru fencing ..anything that likes chickens will..

Racoons and possums will try to chew thru fencing ..anything that likes chickens will..
Yes, since she hadn't lost any birds, I figured it wasn't them this time.

Following link is the charger I have since our power goes out all the time. It has performed satisfactorily for about two years so far (to keep my roosters in their stag pen)... in the Pacific Northwest where we have tons of rainy days or cloud cover. However I used the E rope instead of actual wire. While it's still working well, I can see that the green stuff that grows on everything slightly hinders it according to the meter. I also did not want to run an extension cord for the same reasons you state.
https://www.amazon.com/d/Agricultur...549986611&sr=8-3&keywords=solar+fence+charger

The wire was so cheap and I was unsure of what I was doing so I went with it. I would likely choose real wire next time, now that I am confident.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CR4EPO/?tag=backy-20

Adding your general location to your profile will help us and others to make the most relevant suggestions possible at a glance without having to ask first. ;)

Back
Top Bottom