Something for the chicks to play with?

Based on what I've read here, attitudes really vary. Some folks wait a few weeks, some folks get in early. My guess is that there are advantages and risks to both approaches.

Chicks living with a broody would be exposed to things very early -- they'll take the chicks outside after only a few days -- so I'm using that as a guide. I'd like my girls to have some controlled exposure. A violet or a spring of henbit or chickweed from the yard they'll be living in soon seems like a safe way to do that, and gives them something to play with to boot. I'm also watching their appetites very carefully, as well as their activity level, and the condition of their poop. If anything goes awry, I'm poised to act.

I'm also using ACV in their water, and will be introducing some yogurt this weekend as preventives. I'm feeding unmedicated (Purina Flock Raiser crumbles) with the intention of only medicating when necessary, so this is kind of all part of the plan. That said, this is my first flock, and I'm flying on theory rather than experience at this point, so if more experienced folks have feedback I'd be glad to discuss!

Yeah I'm all about giving them stuff out of the yard to help build their immunity. This might be a dumb question, but if I start giving them things from the yard that they might eat, should I start offering them a little chick grit too?

My chicks are in a dog crate with cardboard on the side. I have been putting the crate outside this last week and taking the bottom off and the chicks have been playing in the grass and chasing bugs and scratching in the dirt. today its going to rain so I am not bringing them out today. I also put two holes in the cardboard and put a stick through the crate, they love it!!

I used a parrot toy in the brooder and then moved it to the coop, since they played with it so much! The toy is a ball with a bell inside - they ring that bell all day long. I just didn't want them to get bored and start pecking at each other.

How warm of weather when you do this? I have a crate like this that I can use for the same purpose. But I live in the northwest and it is only in the 50s so far on a good day. I have 3 that are 4-5 weeks old and then 6 that are probably a couple weeks younger. This is my first time with chicks.

Im in NY and it has been in the 70 here but yesterday it was a bit cooler and I ran a lead cord to the crate and turned there heat lamp on and watched them and they were fine. its cooling down this week coming up so i may not be bringing them out every day.

I think if they have a good amount of feathers you can bring them out at least with a heat lamp, but I am not an expert. just watch them they may be fine.

Last edited:
I have had my chicks outside every day since day two. This is my "playtime" with them as they go exploring, scratching and catching bugs. I have yet to try to put anything into the brooder as a toy, but I also plan to put my chicks into their coop by the time they are two weeks old. We've had mid-eighties weather for the past week now so I'm not too worried about warmth.

My best guess would be to introduce them to something new every other day. Grass on one day, some classical music another. They've heard plenty of music while they are in the bedroom. I'd like to think they enjoy it.

Mealworms! It's a toy, no, it's a treat, no it's a toy, no.....!
Just be careful - I guess fingers look like mealworms to chicks once they've had 'em. I got nipped pretty well by just about everyone after their first taste of 'bug'!

Back
Top Bottom