Something is chewing on my chickens neck...

If not something sharp, could have been a raptor.
I'd looks for other puncture wounds, can be very hard to get feathers out of the way to see skin for inspection.

Lightened to see better.
1629668904362.png

No plans to go to the vet at this point. I'm not sure any local vets work with chickens and she is very content inside for now - eating, drinking, pooping, grooming.
Should we start antibiotics even if she seems to be doing good and we regularly spray with vetericyn? Or should we wait a bit and see?
I don't think there could be anything sharp, but we'll double check. She has been spending all her days in our garden, which is a pretty safe space. She comes in first thing in the morning and doesn't go back out until bedtime.
Well….if you’re not going to a vet, it’s 50/50. She will get better, or not. They’re experts at hiding pain, so, you won’t know she’s dying until it gets really bad. I’m not a vet, I can look in Gail’s book and advise how to treat a penetrating wound, but if it’s serious, I’ll bet she says “get professional veterinary care.” I can’t advise whether or not to start an antibiotic. I don’t know which ones are even available to laypeople. Here’s a blurb from her book..hope they help..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    566 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    589.1 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg