Something is getting my chickens!!

No but the muddy footprints inside the trap indicated that they were inside not out. I am going to get the hardware cloth to cover the bottom of the coop and run. How far out and up the side of the run should we go? Or do we have to cover the run with it?

The blanket is a good idea--I always fasten mine down with tent stakes so they can't tip it over--they like peanut butter and marshmallows!!
smile.png
Good Luck!!!!

I built a wooden box to go around mine (except the entrance). Monday I had catfood in under a cup, and a chicken leg (from grocery store) wired & hanging from the trap. Something set off the trap, but nothing inside. Didn't get the meat, however something (prolly a mole) dug under the trap and got the cat food.

Last night nothing bothered with the trap at all, bait was still inside and trap was untriggered.

Quote:
ASweetHeart,this was just an after thought.but after you caught the possum did you spray the trap down with a garden hose?
a lot of the old timers i know say"
old.gif
a racoon may not go in because of the smell left behind from a possum."
most people dont agree with that, but i all ways do it.

No!! I'll try this if I turn up empty again tomorrow. Trap was untouched again this am. Even threw hamburger in last night with the chicken leg, hoping the extra fresh meat smell would br irresistable!!

Thanx!

some years ago I had Raccoon problems. They kept getting the bait. I set up a video camera. They worked in pairs (there were 6 of them). One on each side of the trap they worked together to untie the bait. setting off the trap in the process. I ended up using a piece of fried chicken and used wire to tie it to the trip paddle. And as others have said blocked access to the sides of the trap. forcing them to go inside.
At one point they even tried to carry the trap off with the bait. That made good video, one on each side standing up and carrying the trap like little old men.
Raccoons are very smart and very nimble with theirs "hands", good climbers, fit thru small holes, can tear open chicken wire, untie things and open most latches.
Good Luck.

Quote:
Now THAT would have been a fun video to see!
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
With their intelligence and dexterity, they are fascinating critters. I don't tolerate them near my building site, but they are fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom