Something is horribly wrong

fluffykitty12

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 1, 2012
I have a 2-3 year old hen, red sex link, nothing special.

I nticed ehr bedded down in the coop last night and checked under her for eggs, and when I found nothing, I just assumed she was keeping her feet warm.

This morning, she wouln't leave the coop. She can barely stand on her own. I checked ehr butt and found a pasty white mess, so I assumed coccidosis. I started syringe-feeding her water with corid in it, which seemed to perk her up.... Until a few minutes later, when she leaned her head forward and vomited. Her breathing is wheezy, and when I femt her rear to check for ascities, I felt a hard mass. When I squeezed the mass, very red tissue (at this point I was thinking prolapse) started emerging from the vent.

Some liquid and feces came out, but the hen started kicking and appeared to be in pin, so I stopped squeezing and left her. She just lays there, barely keeping ehr eyes open.

I'm not sure what this is- it's not sour crop, not coccidosis... any ideas? At this point I'm thinking an internal prolapsed uterus. My thoughts are maybe squeezing it out, rinsing with warm soap and water, and carefully putting it back in.

But I have no clue what is causing this. I've dealt with soure crop, bumblefoot, and coccidosis, but not something like this. Does anyone have any idea what this is? She's so listless I'm considering putting her down, but would like to hear if anyone has any experience with this first.

Any suggestions? I've considered pushing out the large mass under her vent- it would prolapse, of course, but then I could gently clean it and push it back in. I don't want to cause her much more pain than necessary, though, as she already seems to be miserable. I'm on the fence about just putting her own or trying to let ehr fight it.

She's been like this since last night. I just assumed she was bed down to keep her feet warm, but this morning is when I found her. This has all happened in the span of a few minutes. I've got her resting in the garage with the space heater on and foot/water in reach. She just lays there.

if she can poop and is eating it may pass on its own
also give her some extra calcium, tums, let me see if i can find how much

be careful with the space heater you could fumigate her

try putting her in your bathroom, they like it about 80-85* and if you could try a steam bath,

i have also read that people will lube them up and massage, but not too forcefully

Last edited:
i have read anywhere from 1/2 tums to 2 of them so i dont really know how much but i would start with the tums, break it up for her and try to get her to eat it

She wont touch food, and when I got some water into her she vomited. nothing is coming out of her vent except the small amount of poop when I pushed. Maybe it's a soft-shelled egg? I've lubed and massaged chickens before- she just presents really differently than any egg bound I've seen before. Going to give her a small amount of tums now.

She wont touch food, and when I got some water into her she vomited. nothing is coming out of her vent except the small amount of poop when I pushed. Maybe it's a soft-shelled egg? I've lubed and massaged chickens before- she just presents really differently than any egg bound I've seen before. Going to give her a small amount of tums now.
how does her crop feel/smell?

could be a lash egg, those indicate infection, and if not caught early enough are VERY difficult to treat

Back
Top Bottom