Something is stealing the eggs

Kymarose

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 25, 2013
Willamette Valley in Oregon
Hello... I seldom post here but I have a big problem I don't really know how to tackle. Something is stealing the eggs... but not bothering my chickens. I can't tell if it is day or night thievery. When I should be getting 6-8-10 eggs a day, I'm getting only one. It's crazy.
hmm.png
I can see no way a raccoon, or possum could get into the hen house. A weasel could, but I would think he would also go for the birds. No birds have been killed inside the hen house. Hawks take a one now and then during day light hours. Mice and rats are there and I treat them with dCon. But... if a rat was the culprit... how could he carry away the eggs? There are no broken shells. If it is a snake... how do I find and catch the snake?

It is so frustrating... all of the care and feeding for only ONE egg a day. Can't handle that !!!
th.gif

I'm hoping someone here has suggestions for me.

Thanks in advanced.

Are you sure something is taking the eggs? Could it be that your hens are starting to molt or are just on winter break? And don't rule out the possibility that you have an egg eater - it could possibly be one of your hens eating the eggs, too.

Well.. they have molted earlier, like in November and December. We are in the Willamette Valley of Oregon and as far as winter here it is relatively mild... in the 30's and 40's. No snow and icy right now. We usually have only about 2 weeks of snow and ice, which happened this year in early December. They were laying good about 2-3 weeks ago, and what I thought were starting up on spring laying. It is possible one of the hens is eating eggs, but wouldn't I see shells in the nests? And.. would she eat that many in one day?

It's a mystery... and I'm afraid it could be a big bull snake. I haven't seen any big snakes around our place but I know they are in the area. The hen house is build on the ground, and nothing can get under...but they could be in the walls. Yuk !! I hope not !!
hide.gif

I have wondered that. Shucky-Darn !! if that's the case. Maybe I'lll put a lock on the back gate to the barn area... and see if that helps. We have a dog, but she's an inside dog. I can't afford to put a camera up.
barnie.gif
Hummmmmm

I have had a problem with the squirrels stealing my eggs.....we have found some whole eggs right at the opening of a squirrel hole. This weekend the whole chicken coop is getting chicken wire buried underground and attached to the lower boards of the coop. We have already disturbed all of their holes near the chicken house and this has slowed them down a little. However we do find them digging back out of some. I just keep covering and disturbing.......I'm determined to win!! LOL They have plenty of other food on my five acres! Good Luck

Hummmm it could be a squirrel. I have refreshed the mice/rat bait stations, that will keep their population down. But a squirrel... never thought of him, could very will be. The chicken house is a distant from any trees... so she would have to carry it a ways unless they make their nest in the ground. Are yours ground squirrels? I have heard rats will get eggs... but I would think he would eat it in the nest and leave pieces of eggs shells. I never see any egg shells. Does anyone know if a rat can carry an egg out of the nest and out of the chicken house. I can't picture this. Mr. Rat walking on his hind legs carrying an egg.
lol.png
The last two days I got 2 eggs instead of only one. We're gaining on it.
tongue.png

Yes they are geound squirrels! I know it is them..and possibly the ravens are also helping out in the great egg hiest. I'm amazed they can get them from the box to the ground without breaking. I would love to set up a camera to catch them in the act.

Back
Top Bottom