Something is wrong with one of my chicks. :(

bakinghomesteader

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
central Illinois
I got it on Monday. It has really big feet and is yellow. It is not like the rest. He is having labored breathing and his belly feels like a balloon. He was fine yesterday. He doesn't have any butt crust or anything. What should I do with it?

Make sure it's really warm and perhaps use an eyedropper to drip water next to its beak so it will swallow. Did they come from a hatchery or an individual? Shipping can do in some chicks and some chicks are just not meant for this world, sadly.

I can't say for sure but I had two chicks were breathing fast. The first with her beak open. What I did was seperated them and fed them with an eye dropper. Vanilla Yogurt, water. making sure they had water and feed if they wanted it. The one I had to coax to eat. putting it on her beak. I kept them in the dark so they would sleep and not be disturbed by the other chicks. I thought the first was a goner but she pulled through as did the other. They were two different breeds. I used paper towels and this let me know they were pooping. I also fed all my chicks Pedielyte for a couple of days.
Hope this has a happy ending.

I think it is a cornish x. It's the only one. It was from a straight run. It poo is foamy green kinda. I switched feed yesterday from rural king brand of 20% to manna brand chick feed 18%. Is that bad to do?

Switching feed abruptly isn't good to do, per se, but won't cause what you're seeing. Sounds like you have a Cornish cross chick that may have navel ill (Omphalitis.) Does his navel look infected?

uh, where is their navel???
roll.png
Sorry I'm new at this. I really did research before we bought them! Even have a nice coop ready for later. There is just so much I didn't know.

If I can help, I probably can tell you that it might be a Cornish cross, they dont live to be a very long time, a year at best.

Dont give up yet on getting chickens, its a start of a new world!

Back
Top Bottom