Something plastic to put under pine shavings to protect coop wood floor?

I’m with @jreardon1918 . I keep several inches of bedding – shredded paper — on the floor of our winter coop and when I cleaned it out last spring after four months‘ use, the wooden floor underneath was cleaner than the rest of the barn floor. I do have a shallow plastic tray beneath the bedding under my nipple waterer in case of a leak.

I'm a research nut, so before we built the coop, I crossed referenced problems with coops from every aspect conceivable. We don't put any water or food in the coop except for harsh weather conditions (like 7-degree temps). We used decking, then coated it twice with a food grade sealant, then glued and screwed down white plastic wall panels. We also used the white plastic wall panels on the wall behind the roosting poles. We use one bag of fine hemp mixed with potting soil for the floor to prevent slippage, provides additional insulation on cold days, soft landing for chickens, incredible moisture and odor control too. Takes only about 1 minute to mix the bedding which could go without doing that, but I just like to keep tabs on everything in the coop. It stays extremely fresh and light, so I don't have to replace maybe once to twice a year depending on what our garden needs.

I used some orphaned tiles (mismatch) it works well, easier to clean is you like to wash with water.

Downsides:
Grout picks up dirt,

Tile is cold in winter (I make a removable insulation for winter which I would anyway regardless of the surface)

Tile can crack and needs to be replaced.

If you don't have leftover tile and have to buy them it can be costly.

The advantage is the coop will become a pretty workshop to the next owner of this house when I sell in a few years

My next coop I will use a sheet of vinyl

Back
Top Bottom