Something really wanted my birds last night...

Noxluna

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2017
IMG_1155.JPG

Well something really wanted my chicks last night. Does anyone have any idea what would tear at the wood like that? My thought was a stray dog but my mom thinks a raccoon. We are in Florida. Thankfully the birds are all fine. That red stuff in the back is watermelon not bird :)

Dog. Looks like it was standing on it's back legs biting the wood framing. Certain breeds could actually get in if they had the chance. We've had neighborhood dogs chew the masonite siding off of our house trying to reach kittens hiding under the deck ledge,flatten heavy wire rabbit cages and pull the rabbits out, and kill four goats. Unfortunately they will probably come back. But you could be waiting.

Could be either but i guess raccoon (or small dog). It will keep trying and likely get in soon. You could put out a raccoon trap and bait with cat litter. I would put the chickens in your garage temporarily until you catch it, if the chickens are family pets.

Either raccoon or dog, and it will return; I agree with both posters above. Live trap with cat food or some treat, only if you will shoot the raccoon in the morning. If it's a dog, fox, or coyote, probably the live trap won't catch it. Electric fencing will help here, and a coop upgrade. Mary

Yeah, for now I've put down some chili oil around the coop and I'll get an electric fence. Thanks guys!

Coons chewed a hole through the plywood siding to get a small crack under a slipped piece of siding big enough to get into my attic so definitely could be a coon. They are not nice.

I would do the upgrade as soon as possible.

Make sure all the doors on that coop have really good latches too. If it can reach that window it can reach that latch.
Raccoons are excellent problem solvers.

They can also climb we have watched them climb straight up the steel siding on my house. We had to eliminate all the coons so I could repair my attic and have it remain intact. My coop isn't built yet working on it but have had huge coon issues. Am trying to learn all I can re: them invading my coop. After seeing this attempt; Looks like I will have to add another layer of protection to my plan around the windows and upper vents.

Also get rid of any coon droppings if you trap the coon and drown the area in bleach or ammonia to eliminate their scent as the scent will attract more coons.

Bobcat pee works but is super expensive. It also has to be reapplied pretty much every time it rains or a sprinkler is run.

Raccoons are everywhere! :oops:

Electric fence is not a bad idea given a heavy predator load.

Even in town I check my fence every morning for attempted break ins. We found scat in the front flower bed yesterday. Likely raccoon as the front yard is fenced too.

Back
Top Bottom