Something seems wrong

Is the white light on 24/7? Perhaps a red light would let them sleep? I would check them over really well for mites, vent , under the wings. Can you post a close up of one of the chicks and explain what seems off to you.

How strange! I'm sorry I can't offer any advice, probably a good idea to check them for mites though. Good luck :)

Hi. a few years ago I bought some chicks that after shipping to me from a breeder I realized they were full of mites! it was a nightmare! The mites look like tiny specs of pepper. The eggs are clustered at the base of the feathers and look whiteish. The symptoms I had were head shaking, scratching, biting at self,and nervousness. I gave them a good check down to the skin and sure enough they had mites.It sounds like this might be your issue as well. Depending on the severity of the mites they can look like a dirty grey cluster at feathers base. If it's lice, you can usually see them. The mites are very tiny grey specs. I'd give them a good check and if you suspect mites start treatment right away. Mites can sometimes be difficult to rid. You have to get the live mites then the hatching eggs. keep us posted on what you find.

Whenever something seems "off" with chicks that young, the first thing to suspect is the heat lamp is too low, making it very difficult for the chicks to cool down when needed. First, they will be agitated, trying to distance themselves from the light, then they become lethargic and prostrate. My "clue" this could be true in your case is the chicks crowding far away from the light.

If your room temp is very warm you may not need a 250 watt heat lamp. A 100 watt incandescent bulb would suffice. Raise or lower it until you see the chicks moving in and out of the heat zone with regularity.

Also, white light glaring over the chicks all day and all night is very stressful and unnatural. When I brooded indoors, I hung a dark cloth between the light and the chicks when night came, removing it in the morning. Now I brood under the heating pad system outdoors in my run, and have avoiding all these problems.

But, do check for mites and lice. Take a bright flashlight and magnifying glass and inspect closely. These bugs can wipe out all your chicks.

It's not too much usually, they ran from me after I started grabbing them to check them for bugs.

Though, I am going to buy a lower heat lamp.

I put DE in the enclosure and gave them a slight dusting.

what's the temperature under the heat lamp ? This is very important, I think to give us an idea of what's wrong.

With all of them are on the opposite side, could be too hot. But we can't be sure unless we know the temperature

I use a 125 watt heat bulb, the 250 is usually too hot, in your picture they all seem to be trying to get away from it, it should be 85-90 directly under the bulb, I've used white light and it doesn't bother them, being too hot will, so throw a thermometer down and see how warm it is. You said you bought some frizzles, their wing feathers will come in curly so perhaps that's what you are seeing.

Back
Top Bottom