Something stuck in chick's throat

Did you feel around?

It may not be feeling well stomach wise. I have a grown hen doing this. Hopefully someone can pip in with some more info

She doesn't seem to be doing too badly this morning. Her crop still seems kind of full, but its not as hard as it was last night, and she's not doing the thing with her head. I just hope she gorged herself, and its not something more serious. I don't know how I would do having to cull a bird this early. This is my first flock, and I've not crossed that bridge yet.

Okay, every time she eats some, she starts doing this. I have added apple cider vinegar to the waterer. My father-in-law says I might have given them grit that was too large. We've been giving them worm treats, and wanted them to be able to digest them. I guess we need to re-think that. He told us to just go to a playground and get a half a cup of sand and give it to them.

Okay, every time she eats some, she starts doing this. I have added apple cider vinegar to the waterer. My father-in-law says I might have given them grit that was too large. We've been giving them worm treats, and wanted them to be able to digest them. I guess we need to re-think that. He told us to just go to a playground and get a half a cup of sand and give it to them.

I agree with your father-in-law. Stop the worm treats. Parakeet grit or sand will work. Sprinkle either in the bedding, they will pick/peck at it. Other than fine grit, they should only be fed chick starter. Give your chick one or two drops of olive oil, use an eyedropper to put it on the side of her beak to administer, hopefully she'll swallow it on her own. Then gently massage her neck down past her crop. She will either puke it up or pass it on.

We gave her the drops of olive oil and massaged her crop. She did vomit. She seems to be doing better for the moment. I'll have to keep an eye on her, though. She began chirping very loudly after it was over with. Her crop and chest are still swollen and red.

Well, its supper time, and she's back to doing it again. I'm thinking she has some sort of blockage further down her digestive tract. Its somewhere between her neck and her stomach. I guess we'll be doing this again. Also, I'm thinking of putting her in a pet holder over night, with only water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If we can't get her fixed up, I'm afraid we're going to loose her.

That's curious. It almost looks like something like hiccups. Is it possible she ate something she shouldn't have?
I would just keep up with the olive oil and gently massaging her crop. Can you isolate her so you can inspect her poop?
It almost looks like a tic-like action.
Does she make any noise with it?

No, she doesn't make any noise, but you can tell she is in discomfort. I have a pet carrier the wife is currently cleaning that we are going to put her in over night. The only issue is keeping her warm enough. We'll get her with the oil and message a few more times.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom