Something trying to get in my coop.

toomanyjewels

Songster
May 23, 2015
North Attleborough
So I live in Massachusetts in a resident type area and I have a small flock of four chickens. My run and coop is sealed up with hardware cloth on the bottom of the run. So a few times I have notice the hardware cloth was lose , but still attached so I just added more staplers. Well yesterday the husband and I are building a frame to expand the run. So I moved one brick that was under my old run. Sure enough this morning I go out and find a pile of dirt on the new frame and it looks like something tried to dig under the run. I poked a long stick under there but nothing came out. Then I wedged a a piece of wood in the hole to close it up and put some bricks on top.I checked the run and the mysterious creature found the area of hardware cloth that is that going around a pipe and dug under it. My chickens were pecking around it. So I stuffed around the area around the pipe with more pieces of hardware cloth and wedged another layer of hardware cloth on top then added rocks. What do you think was trying to get in? Weasel ? Raccoon ? I have had chickens for a year and this is the first time I have had a problem with predators. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Raccoons are our most common visitors. To prevent animals from digging, we buried chicken wire in a moat around the coop, and then placed paver stones all around it. It's worked perfectly so far, we've been operating for about 6 years now.

10308187_10152380735529481_5887251943844415500_n.jpg

So I live in Massachusetts in a resident type area and I have a small flock of four chickens. My run and coop is sealed up with hardware cloth on the bottom of the run. So a few times I have notice the hardware cloth was lose , but still attached so I just added more staplers. Well yesterday the husband and I are building a frame to expand the run. So I moved one brick that was under my old run. Sure enough this morning I go out and find a pile of dirt on the new frame and it looks like something tried to dig under the run. I poked a long stick under there but nothing came out. Then I wedges a a piece of weed in the hole to close it up and put some bricks on top.I checked the run and the mysterious creature found the area of hardware cloth that is that going around a pipe and dug under it. My chickens were pecking around it. So I stuffed around the area around the pipe with more pieces of hardware cloth and wedged another layer of hardware cloth on top then added rocks. What do you think was trying to get in? Weasel ? Raccoon ? I have had chickens for a year and this is the first time I have had a problem with predators. Thanks for your input.
Hi, you mentioned a pipe, can that pipe be moved? do you have a skirt around your coop/run ? I've got a skirt, 6 inches of hard ware cloth out from the edge of the run and then about 6 inch down in the ground.. could you see any paw prints? if you find some, maybe a picture of them might help in id'ing the predator. I do not have the skirting completely around my coop as my coop is a solid floor..

Hi, you mentioned a pipe, can that pipe be moved? do you have a skirt around your coop/run ? I've got a skirt, 6 inches of hard ware cloth out from the edge of the run and then about 6 inch down in the ground.. could you see any paw prints? if you find some, maybe a picture of them might help in id'ing the predator. I do not have the skirting completely around my coop as my coop is a solid floor..
So the pipe is deep into the ground. When i paid the hardware cloth down i cut the hold so it was pretty close to the pipe. The gape i left open between the pipe and hardware cloth was probably 3/4 of an inch. I did not see paw prints but it has been raining off and on. I will try and check for the prints in the am. Did you bury the hardware cloth in the ground for the skirt or did lay it on top of the grass? Thanks for your help.

It could be a fox or skunk. They're both great diggers. I would bury that hardware cloth 6+inches deep and tightly around that pipe and the put some heavy, flat rocks on top so they can't be rolled off. You can use some 18ga bailing wire to 'sew' that harware cloth around the pipe and then twist it so everything is tight to the pipe. The way I have this pictured is the pipe is just in the way of the hardware cloth but the pipe itself isn't a pathway into the run. Correct? Pictures would help immensely.

Back
Top Bottom