Something trying to get in my coop.

It could be a fox or skunk. They're both great diggers. I would bury that hardware cloth 6+inches deep and tightly around that pipe and the put some heavy, flat rocks on top so they can't be rolled off. You can use some 18ga bailing wire to 'sew' that harware cloth around the pipe and then twist it so everything is tight to the pipe. The way I have this pictured is the pipe is just in the way of the hardware cloth but the pipe itself isn't a pathway into the run. Correct? Pictures would help immensely.
Thanks for the tips. Great Advice. Will try and take some pictures tomorrow. I have seen a fox in my backyard before so that could definitely be the culprit. Thank you.

I'm assuming the pipe is sticking out of the ground and you cut a hole in the HC and slid it down the pipe?

If so. Take a pice of HC 16"+ high, and make a 6" bend along the length. Kinda like a "L". Put the 6" part on the ground, tight to the pipe and wrap the pipe tightly. You may need to make some relief cuts on the 6" part as you make the bend. Once it's tightly wrapped some tent stakes to anchor it and a couple hose clamps to hold it on to the pipe.

So the pipe is deep into the ground. When i paid the hardware cloth down i cut the hold so it was pretty close to the pipe. The gape i left open between the pipe and hardware cloth was probably 3/4 of an inch. I did not see paw prints but it has been raining off and on. I will try and check for the prints in the am. Did you bury the hardware cloth in the ground for the skirt or did lay it on top of the grass? Thanks for your help.
I've buried mine 6 down and 6 across, but I've seen it done where it was put on the ground and then they used the landscape material pins.. they look like over grown staples, you just hammer them into the ground to hold them down. over lap them at the corners and make sure you have them secured, as for that pipe? zip ties for holding the wire to it. Beyond mice that 3/4 of a inch gap shouldn't be a issue. I'm in AZ, we have coyotes, dogs and I don't know what else around that would love a chicken dinner. Knock on wood, I've had the bulk of my flock for about 3.5 years and not lost one to a predator, but I've had friends not far from me that have lost their entire flocks to coyotes.

Yuck, is there anything that repels weasels.
Well not that I know of, just make sure you don't have any holes they can get through. I will go so far as to say no holes over 3/4 inches. If they keep trying to dig in I would get a hold of the game warden to see if they can trap it of if you are allowed to since it is trying to get at your chickens. There are set trapping seasons for your state I'm sure so check with them and explain whats going on

Back
Top Bottom