Something very strange in the nesting box

Eva2020

Songster
Sep 6, 2020
Berkshire County, MA
So we were away this weekend and had a friend check on the chickens (4 hens) and give them food and water and collect the eggs. She only came saturday morning, but we just got home from being out of town for the weekend to find one normal egg from my easter egger and one very strange egg which I think is from my brahma.

My brahma has never been a good layer, laying a couple times a week at most. She hasn't laid consistently since October 2020, with a few eggs in December and maybe a couple since then. I never worried about it because she always seemed happy and healthy.

Is this weird egg something to worry about? Is it just her working out something in her system or is something really wrong? Can I do anything? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3890.jpg
    IMG_3890.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 34
This just looks like a weird shaped egg, not lash egg material. It has a shell, correct? There are a number of odd eggs that are sometimes seen. Some are normal looking with a tail on the end, some can be mini eggs with or without a yolk, and others. It could be just a blip in the egg laying cycle, or it could be a sign of a problem withing the oviduct.

Did the insides look like this by chance?
View attachment 2635453
If it did, then it's a lash egg. In that cause it is caused by an infection, and actions will need to be taken immediately. Hopefully thats not what it is!
Nope, it cracked right open like a normal egg. No yolk since it's so small, just looked and felt like egg white

I'll go do that now. I live in a city, so I'm not really sure but if a bird vet would take a chicken I'll look into it. She's definitely not skinny. I feed a layer feed from tractor supply to all my girls mixed with grit and oyster shells (I know you aren't supposed to mix in the oyster shells but my mom mixed them into all the food before I could say anything)

This just looks like a weird shaped egg, not lash egg material. It has a shell, correct? There are a number of odd eggs that are sometimes seen. Some are normal looking with a tail on the end, some can be mini eggs with or without a yolk, and others. It could be just a blip in the egg laying cycle, or it could be a sign of a problem withing the oviduct.
Yes it had a shell

Looked at it closer and it looks totally normal just misshapen! I'll see if she lays anything in the next few days and keep y'all updated :)

Wow! I just looked at there Eglo coops, those look awesome! I'm never gonna be able to get one, but they are pretty neat.
Haha my mom says they're space age! They do kinda look like rocket ships. We had enough research to do when we first got the chickens without having to worry about plans for a whole coop and run so it was great to have everything we needed and the instructions right there! did take a few days to put together😅

Back
Top Bottom