Something you wish had been invented in chicken keeping.

Pics
Battery lights so when I go to my coop in the dark I can see. It’s too far away from the house for electricity. A way to store water down there and keep it fresh bc it’s also too far to run a hose.

I can in fact be trusted with sharp objects, but we don't want to buy one I guess, the snow shovel doesn't fit in the coop, it is 4×8 (the coop) and the shovel can only get a few scoops in before I need the broom.
Get a small collapsible shovel like people keep in their cars for winter (think I might have gotten mine at the auto shop, or if not, from a big home improvement store). The shovel portion is like a foot wide and the handle collapses, so great for small spaces! And I use a small windshield scraper to clean the poop off perches and poop boards into it

I do not☺ its fine though, I'm going to try and find little kid stuff to clean with, plus, there is a legend that my grandma has one in her garage somewhere....

BTW this thread isn't about pichforks, and why I can't get one, just wanted to hear what you guys wanted. Any pitchfork comments are funny and accepted though.
As I keep reading I wonder why no one, including me, thought of a regular rake. The kind with metal tines and a straight back.
I use kids tools all the time. I actually bought sand toys for my quail. They just fit better into small spaces. Kids gardening tools are also great. Hint: I love the dollar store! You never know what you’ll find.

We all have something we wish was invented to make chicken keeping better, and I was wondering what yours were. I have to clean the shavings in my coop with a broom and a tub, sweeping out all the shavings. I then have to scrub the floor on my hands and knees, all because my family won't let me get a pitchfork! What are yours, I'm interested to find out!
I wish the standard pens that come with chicken coops were made high enough for humans to walk into! The number of times I’ve walked into the frame!!! You’d think I’d learn but no :rolleyes:

I don't think it does, the tried it one time in 2016! Haven't reported back since. And they only did it one time! I still want to try it, I'm going to be one of those strong women being discussed, and do it my self someday!

(Actually, I'm pretty strong physically, so I have had my fair share of fights.)
Two thing.
1- good for you for wanting to be independent!
2- physical strength is fleeting and only one part of being a “strong” person.
You seem to have a good head on your shoulders from what I can infer by reading your responses. You will do just fine!
Regarding my comment on physical strength. It seems a common sense thing, but life can really mess with you. I threw out my back at 14 showing off chopping wood. I was always very fit and exceptionally strong. I would get either outright accused of, or rumors behind my back, that I’m either on steroids or actually a guy. Wow! People are so weird! Now though, I can’t even carry the dog food out of the car much less up the stairs. I don’t know if my back injury is to blame or not, but my legs have gotten so weak it’s difficult to just walk at times.

My apologies if my responses seem out of place. My ipad is really acting up and bouncing all over the pages as well as having a bad delay. The website also keeps crashing on me.

Battery lights so when I go to my coop in the dark I can see. It’s too far away from the house for electricity. A way to store water down there and keep it fresh bc it’s also too far to run a hose.
I have several. They look like light switches, but are their own light running on batteries. They have lots of different styles out. I have a dimming one in my coop.

I use a dog pooper scooper. It is easy to pull the stuff on the ground into a pile and then scoop it into the scoop part. I can push hard poop that is stuck to the ground and mix the wet stuff with dry stuff so it can be scooped into the scoop. Small enough to fit into small spaces too.

Back
Top Bottom