Something's up...

I had a bird die a little while ago- very underweight, I couldn't figure out what was wrong- this was when none had lice and there was no red mite. I was trying to feed her up and she seemed perky enough, but still died. I wonder if it was Marek's tumours inside that killed her. This was a few months ago.

Looks like I'll be watching them die off then. When my dog is in pain I know all about it, but I don't think chickens are that easy to read. Do they suffer with Marek's? If not, they can just live out their shortened lives in idyllic free range bliss. If they are going to be suffering all the time, then I will need to look at alternative options.

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. It is much appreciated.

Catherine

Even if they have Marek's they can live nice long lives... Just keep them free of mites, lice and internal parasites, which you should do even if they don't have something like Marek's. If one dies, have a necropsy done, then you'll know for sure.

-Kathy

Can you eat their eggs if they have Marek's? Will they even lay any? The 16 week olds were supposed to supply us with lots of lovely eggs!

I hope they aren't suffering. The one currently roosting fast asleep in my lounge seems happy enough!

Can you eat their eggs if they have Marek's? Will they even lay any? The 16 week olds were supposed to supply us with lots of lovely eggs!

I hope they aren't suffering. The one currently roosting fast asleep in my lounge seems happy enough!
You can eat the eggs!

-Kathy

I personally would not eat any bird if I did not know exactly how it died..unless you are 100% sure it was Mareks then you could be risking your health by eating it...in any event as Kathy says...it may not be prudent to eat it...I just read Nambroths the great Mareks debate and it states that a chicken that has died from Mareks can be eaten...so...if you are 100% sure it had Mareks then go ahead...just don't invite any friends to dinner...!

I would burn the bird(s) if you are unsure of their cause of death...or...ask Kathy for details of necropsy in your area..that is the only way you will ever know!

Kathy,

Looking at some of the others in the flock, I am fairly confident that it is Marek's. I was hoping to use the cockerels as table birds, but although I will continue eating any eggs the hens produce, I don't think I will use any of the flock for meat, just to be safe.

I will just carry on as normal, but will not get any more birds until all of these have died to prevent the disease spreading.

Thanks for all your help, I feel like I run a chicken hospital sometimes!

Catherine

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom