Somewhat of a 'crappy' past half hour!

Jsto

Songster
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
North Carolina
So, it starts with the roo, Cap'n Jack of course! When I open up the coop to sit with the chicks, even the dutch-style screen door doesn't keep him in. I've taken to just allowing him to explore around my feet for a bit since he doesn't go far. He's comical to watch as he dances around my wellies. Anyway, this probably wasn't a good idea as he ate part of a bolt just now. I had gone out with the magnet before they were ever put in the coop, but I must've missed that somehow. It's just the tail end that was ground off after installing the lock on the door. It wasn't very big but it is very worrisome. I don't know what to do on that front. The little bugger just swallowed it. Probably my fault. He more than likely would've dropped it, but as soon as I saw he had it in his mouth, I dove after him. Any advice here would be great. He's 6 1/2 weeks.

So, I watch him for a minute before putting him in the coop where I hear a huge ruckus. I look in the somewhat dull lighted building to see my Silkie running around with dark goop all over her neck. OH no, I thought, something must've just happened. Well, the good news was that it wasn't blood. The not so great news? It was a giant glob of poo....the incredibly nasty cecal variety too. Why couldn't it have been regular solid poo? And why did it have to be the Silkie, with those poofy, thick, pure white feathers? So, I spent 20 minutes trying to get it out with warm water. It's still not all the way gone, but I wanted to let her recover from mom poking and prodding her with a towel before I work on it some more.

What's next?!

hugs.gif

yeah, dont worry about the bolt. I went into the carport once and the chickens had feasted on a huge chunk of stryofoam. It was a 1'x2' by 3" flat pannel and a good quarter of it was now inside of about half a dozen birds. Had styrofoam pieces of poo everywhere for a few days.

Good to know the bolt won't cause an issue. I figured since he's almost 7 weeks and to my knowledge birds pass things quickly, he'd be ok. Just wanted to make sure.

As for Charo, the Silkie, her neck is stained a lovely shade of orange-y brown for the time being
roll.png
I did all I could and I figure she'll clean off the rest. I find it hilarious that with the actual probability of one bird passing under the roost right at the very same moment that another is doing the deed, it happened to, of course, the silkie.

Chickonaroost, as soon as I read your post, I thought: this poo shall pass. I think that would make a very appropriate chicken coop sign, lol!

Back
Top Bottom