Somone, please answer my questions! :(((

ScissorChick

Songster
9 Years
Dec 17, 2010
Under Your bed
I need help. Read the post in bold below, to know the entire story. Buthis is what I need

to know as of now:

The chick isn't moving...is this normal? Hes sleeping He's breathing, moving his feet/head every now and

again, and somtimes opening his eyes and making soft chirp noises...Is it normal for him to be this

weak? Did he loose to much blood? I've cried my eyes out just watching him. If a chick looses alot

of blood, is it possible for them to bounce back after resting awhile? He's still got a little yolk, also.

It's absorbing' but it's in like a clear sac on his abdomen.....Is THAT normal? I'm sorry..You guys

don't know how I feel right now. It's like I have 1,000 pounds of worry growing in my head. I feel like

I'm going to explode. thanks for any help....

My eggs were incubating at 95F this entire hatch with out me knowing, until

I got a good thermometer. I was told my chicks will most likely be very weak.

Well one pipped, and was doing great until this morning. It just totally stopped

trying. I think I accidently shrink wrapped him earlier, as I opened the incubator

WIDE open, and didn't see his hole in the egg until after having the lid open for

a second...I didn't hear it chirping for hours. I didn't see the egg move at all. I know

they rest, but this one seemed to have given up. This morning a BYC-er told me

if he was not atleast making progress with in twelve hours, to help him out. Well

I did have to help him. He started bleeding a bit, so I stopped, wrapped him in a towel

and put him back in the incubator. The bleeding was stopped, I got him out, and now

hes dragging the 'cord' along will egg shell along with him..when will it fall off, or when

can I cut it? I REALLY don't want him to bleed again. He honastly bled way to much.

I feel stupid, but I didn't want him dying in the shell. I know alot of people don't agree with

what I done, so please, no negative comments. Not right now.

He's not moving much. Hes breathing, and chirping every now and again.

I need to know when it'll

be safe to cut the cord, or when it will fall off...or when the worry of him bleeding anymore will be gone.

thanks

Last edited:
I'm a newbie and just helped a little one, too. I didn't have any bleeding at all to deal with, but I did not cut the little cord. I helped him at 5 am and by 7:30 it was off on its own. I vote let it come off naturally, if that counts for anything. My little one had a curled toe but I put a shoe on it (great instructions on here!) and one day later it is totally fixed and I have a fat, healthy chick! So don't lose hope. Anything from your other chicks? Hope it works out ok! Good luck!!!
fl.gif

You have to make sure he's warm and is eating and drinking. I've occasionally hand fed chicks until they learnt how to eat on their own. If your chick is very weak though he might not make it

I don't know much about chickens, but I think he has to absorb that yolk. I wouldn't cut it off at this time. I had a duck that was attached and it eventually came off on its own. I'm not sure that you can do much but keep him warm and clean and hope for the best. It is difficult to watch and not be able to help much. My duckling slept a lot and that is a good thing, let the little fellow build up its strength. I hope someone that hatches chickens can come on and offer more help. You are doing every thing you can, so feel good about that.

Alright...he can't stand, as of now...
sad.png
I don't think I'd

be able to get him to eat. Should I try water? Isn't Sugar water

what people normally say to give them?

If it just hatched at 10 pm you are expecting way too much too soon. Leave it be and let it absorb the rest of the yolk if it can. Even a chick that hatches completely on its own is not very active for a few hours after hatching. As it didn't absorb the yolk beforehand, it is at risk, but it can still bounce back. As for the other chicks, they may just be delayed from the low bator temp. This one may just be precocious. Give it a bit before you despair. You might get up in the morning to more peeps!

Back
Top Bottom