Soon to be Budgies

naturegirl1919

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 5, 2013
I'm most likely gonna get 1 or two budgies in the next couple of weeks, and this is my first time raising them-- do you guys have any tips?
I barely know anything about taking care of them than the basics:
anything is helpful

thanks!

i love budgies (be very careful not to let them get out of your house though you will never see them again) i had an inside cage and i had an outside flight cage but they never liked it i had a boy and a girl who had two babies that i sold. i fed them basic grains and seeds and i also sprouted wheat and had a fodder system. i wish you luck. if you can train them they like to go out and walk/fly around the house. they love mirrors and bells also they like apple

good luck

Budgies are not that difficult to breed. They are prone to fatty tumors so make sure to keep the seed in the diet to a minimum. Be sure to include a variety of cooked veggies. Set them up in a well-lit area away from the kitchen, safe from pets, and soon you'll have baby budgies.

Budgies are not that difficult to breed. They are prone to fatty tumors so make sure to keep the seed in the diet to a minimum. Be sure to include a variety of cooked veggies. Set them up in a well-lit area away from the kitchen, safe from pets, and soon you'll have baby budgies.

Thanks! Should I mostly feed them pellets and veggies with minimal seeds?
I'll most likely use millet at a treat.
Btw. I'm not going for baby budgies.

Sorry, what is a fodder system?
Is it okay if I let them outside if their wings are clipped?
What are some tips to train them?
Sorry if I'm a pest:
Thanks!

And what should I do for the paper liner at the bottom of the cage? Do I just shed up some paper and newspaper and put it at the bottom, or what?

I use newspaper in the bottom of all my cages and change the paper daily. It's difficult to train two birds who live together because they will have a tendency to bond to each other. It can be done but it takes longer. Clipping the wings does make training easier, but you have to be very aware of the household dangers such as the family dog or cat. Birds will drown in toilets so keep the lid down, and be mindful when you are cooking in the kitchen. Fumes from Non-stick cookware will kill them. Those plug-in scented deodorizers aren't good for them. And people leaving doors open will allow them to escape. Even with clipped wings, parakeets can fly pretty far in an updraft.

I recommend getting a training video to learn how to train birds.

Good luck with them!

I use newspaper in the bottom of all my cages and change the paper daily. It's difficult to train two birds who live together because they will have a tendency to bond to each other. It can be done but it takes longer. Clipping the wings does make training easier, but you have to be very aware of the household dangers such as the family dog or cat. Birds will drown in toilets so keep the lid down, and be mindful when you are cooking in the kitchen. Fumes from Non-stick cookware will kill them. Those plug-in scented deodorizers aren't good for them. And people leaving doors open will allow them to escape. Even with clipped wings, parakeets can fly pretty far in an updraft.

I recommend getting a training video to learn how to train birds.

Good luck with them!

1. Do you have to shred the newspaper, or just tear it up in medium chunks and put it in, or just put in in whole?
2. In that case, I will likely only get one budgie.
3. I don't have a dog or a cat, and will only let it out of its cage under my supervision.
4. what do you mean by non-stick cookware?
5.I will close the doors and we don't have plug in deodorizers.

Thanks!

I lay the paper in the bottom of the cage. Non-stick cookware are metal pans coated with a substance that keeps food from sticking to it. When used the pans emit fumes that will kill a bird.

I like parakeets as they come in all different colors. And if you do get only one make sure you spend a part of your day, every day with it.

I lay the paper in the bottom of the cage. Non-stick cookware are metal pans coated with a substance that keeps food from sticking to it. When used the pans emit fumes that will kill a bird.

I like parakeets as they come in all different colors. And if you do get only one make sure you spend a part of your day, every day with it.

Back
Top Bottom