SOOO Aggravating!

Thing is, I have asked more than once to let either me or Ken know when the kids want to go in there. If they had called me, I would have told them to supervise the kids, because my broodies are freakin terminators. I myself have also explained to these kids more than once that chasing the birds frightens them and if they want to hold one, let me know - I can pick the bird I know can take it. But, alas, my darling daughter (21 years old!) never thinks of this, and the kids dad is a bit brain dead.

I managed to get them out of the coop and into the pool - supervised. All three broodies were puffed up beyond all recognition too.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hmmm, sounds like you have some apprentices in the makings. Assuming that they are basically good kids, just don't know much about chickens, and certainly don't know about what is going on at any specific time with your birds, teach them about your birds. What to do, and also what not to do. Then make sure they understand that they need to check with you before doing a specific task. Maybe you can come up with a system to show when a bird is broody or for some reason is not to be disturbed.

Today was one of the days I watched my 4-year old granddaughter. She adores chickens (all animals). And likes to help feed and water the birds, but today she carried it further, and was truly helpful. I found youngsters with lice, so we cleaned out baby tractors and filled them with lots of DE and Sweet PDZ. Then one by one she handed me a bird, I sprayed it and put it in the ready tractor. This truly cut my time in half, and she had fun. I got a lot more accomplished than I would have without her help...and the bonus? When I asked her what she most enjoyed about the day, her answer was handing me the birds to spray.

She does like to pick up the eggs, so I have to tell her which ones she can and cannot pick up.

Sonoran, they are good kids, however, these kids need to be told things multiple times before it sinks in. When I explained about the potential for a broody to attack, they still wanted to know why they couldn't get the eggs!!! When I explained that they are trying to hatch them, they both wanted to know if they could move the birds and feel the eggs. I finally handed them an egg and said "Doesn't feel any different from this one". Because they are that way, I made them move to the pool. Get outta the coop if you can't follow instructions.

They relentlessly chase the birds too trying to catch one and are so proud when they catch a duck - around it's neck. ARGH!!! I am going to talk to Ken tonight about talking to the kids dad again, and making SURE he knows they need to be supervised.

My nephews, on the other hand, like to stand there and feed them treats and let them be themselves. If they want one, the point and tell me THAT ONE!!! So I catch it and let them pet the hen. If these other two kids would just calm down a bit, my silkie would pass out in their arms, but they insist on carrying it like a fullback at a Bronco's game!

Takes teaching, and letting them try, with LOTS of supervision. "There's a baby in the egg, and the mama hen is afraid you will hurt it." Let them watch you candle eggs. Talk about how to catch a bird and when chasing is okay and when it is not. They will not learn overnight, and you have to be realistic about expectations based upon their age and maturity. And you KNOW they are wanting to help and willing to learn when they are willing to help clean the coop and dispose of the used bedding is whatever manner you select.

hugs.gif
I hope everyone is OK. I am sorry you had to come home to that....I don't know if I could have bit my tongue the way you did. I respect you for your self-control!

*edited for grammar

Last edited:
I'd be kid proofing my coop - sorry. my main silkie coop has a little locking system that my 5 yr old jas finally learned how to undo - and so I am going to be buying me an actual LOCK to put on the coop section of my mini coop/run - so she can't get in there unless I say its okay. She's good with them and everything but she thinks if I'm not looking its okay to chase down a chicken and dive bomb it (she doesn't hurt them - not as bad as i make it sound, but the visual is like it) and it scares the bejesus out of the chickens obviously.

I'm getting the gist the kids are around alot - belong to someone in the house or their BF? i dunno - but I'm wondering why if the kids aren't family and don't like there - why they are allowed over in your house? just thinking outloud what i was thinking while reading.
hmm.png

Teach the kids, get them involved with cleaning if they don't like it - tell them if they want to go in the coop and see the chickens they must help clean up coop / chicken poo or the house before hand. - if no cleaning - no collecting eggs or petting the chickens. My daughter hates this ultimatium and so happily helps clean up and feed/water so she can keep open supervised 'chicken access'

Good luck~!

Again, the thing is - I am NOT going to kid proof my coop - they are not my kids!!!!! Mystic, I am not going to take my frustration on the parents and my daughter for not watching them out on the kids. As annoying as they are, they are innocent still. Has anyone noticed at this point that I do NOT like other peoples children?

I am not intolerant or rude to kids, but really prefer their parents to do the parenting as opposed to me, who is done raising small children.

Quote:
I like your attitude. I agree with you 100%- I have 5 kids myself, but that doesnt mean I wanna deal with someone elses kid(s). My kids are well trained when it comes to the animals. The minute someone elses children show up, I let the parents AND the kids know in no uncertain terms- STAY OUT OF THE CHICKEN PEN AND PASTURE. Period, no excuses. It helps when I tell the parents that their kids will get poo AAAALLLLL over there pretty shoes, they tend to keep those kids faaarrr away from the bird area!

Sometimes I just say, 'My chickens are very rare and expensive, and I wouldnt want any accidents to happen that would cost you alot of money'. (of course they are just regular chickens, but they are very special to me, so that makes them priceless to me)

Of course I have threatened my hubby with death and other less desireable punishments if he lets ANYONE inside the coop area. Its just not allowed. So far, he's still with us
gig.gif

Quote:
I like your attitude. I agree with you 100%- I have 5 kids myself, but that doesnt mean I wanna deal with someone elses kid(s). My kids are well trained when it comes to the animals. The minute someone elses children show up, I let the parents AND the kids know in no uncertain terms- STAY OUT OF THE CHICKEN PEN AND PASTURE. Period, no excuses. It helps when I tell the parents that their kids will get poo AAAALLLLL over there pretty shoes, they tend to keep those kids faaarrr away from the bird area!

Sometimes I just say, 'My chickens are very rare and expensive, and I wouldnt want any accidents to happen that would cost you alot of money'. (of course they are just regular chickens, but they are very special to me, so that makes them priceless to me)

Of course I have threatened my hubby with death and other less desireable punishments if he lets ANYONE inside the coop area. Its just not allowed. So far, he's still with us
gig.gif

You are funny!!! Ken is the same way - stay out!!!! But neither of us were home. I swear, we refuse to go on a long vacation without changing the locks and sending the kids to Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom