Sore on eye and sore around mouth, should I be concerned??

MissKari

Hatching
Jun 19, 2020
Hi, first time chicken mom here. I have been reading about avian pox, canker sores, and other kinds of diseases but I'm not sure which this is. Or even if it is anything at all. Please let me know what you think I should do. Is it a disease or injury? What's the best protocol to help? The first bird is an easter egger with a sore just around one side of her beak. The other is a Rhode island red with a sore just on one eye. I have 6 other birds with no sores so I'm hoping it's not contagious. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20200919_105854.jpg
    IMG_20200919_105854.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200919_105245.jpg
    IMG_20200919_105245.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 19
What does the inside of the beak look like with the one with the sores on the beak?

It's possible you are dealing with Fowl Pox, but those bubbles to me are concerning. Do you notice any sneezing, congestion, coughing, etc.?

Normally I wouldn't recommend separation, but if the others seem fine for the time being, I think I would separate out the 2.

If you just got them, then I would consider returning the birds.

Thanks for helping @Wyorp Rock . I get returning them, but if you did, then the people you got them from will likely put them down. They would be happier if you could keep them, and if you are interested in returning them, you might as well just put them down yourself. Sorry this is happening

It could be fowl pox, but it might be peck wounds. If it is pox, there is no treatment. But the eyes of both appear to have conjunctivitis, and one has the bubbles that are common with mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, a chronic respiratory disease. You don’t want to mix these 2 birds into your flock if you have 6 other healthy birds. Bringing in a respiratory disease like MG will doom your flock to all be carriers. I agree that I would return them, no questions asked, and not ask for a refund. It will save you money in the long run. Disinfect any equipment and the area they are in.

Thanks for helping @Wyorp Rock . I get returning them, but if you did, then the people you got them from will likely put them down. They would be happier if you could keep them, and if you are interested in returning them, you might as well just put them down yourself. Sorry this is happening
Of course the seller would be happier if the OP kept the birds. They may or may not cull the birds if they were returned. They might just turn around and resell. But the OP is taking a loss along with being new to chickens. Make the seller accountable, imho.
Fine if the OP decides it's not worth it or whatever, we will still try to help them, but I think it would really stink getting birds that are not well when just starting out.

Of course the seller would be happier if the OP kept the birds. They may or may not cull the birds if they were returned. They might just turn around and resell. But the OP is taking a loss along with being new to chickens. Make the seller accountable, imho.
Fine if the OP decides it's not worth it or whatever, we will still try to help them, but I think it would really stink getting birds that are not well when just starting out.
Agreed, I wouldn’t want to affect my healthy flock too

What does the inside of the beak look like with the one with the sores on the beak?

It's possible you are dealing with Fowl Pox, but those bubbles to me are concerning. Do you notice any sneezing, congestion, coughing, etc.?

Normally I wouldn't recommend separation, but if the others seem fine for the time being, I think I would separate out the 2.

I haven't noticed anything on the inside of the mouth yet. No other symptoms, they seem to be in good health otherwise. I'm thinking it might be the pox though. Hopefully, it will take it's course just externally and be gone in a few weeks.

I haven't noticed anything on the inside of the mouth yet. No other symptoms, they seem to be in good health otherwise. I'm thinking it might be the pox though. Hopefully, it will take it's course just externally and be gone in a few weeks.
I really want to stress that if even one bird has MG, from the bubbles in the eye, you will have that disease affecting all of your chickens for the life of the flock. MG makes carriers of the whole flock whether birds show symptoms or not. Any chicken added to the flock in the future will eventually test positive. They will mostly recover from fowl pox, but MG will affect most chickens for life, and they may never achieve the weight, health or egg laying the could have had.

@Eggcessive Here is a day later (see photos). I'm definitely seeing the bubbles now on both of them looks worse. What should I do? Put them down? Is it too late for the rest of the flock, should I assume they are all infected now? Will they still be able to lay edible eggs? I have raised them since they were chicks and they are 18weeks now.

Attachments

• IMG_20200920_164115.jpg
    IMG_20200920_164115.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200920_164236.jpg
    IMG_20200920_164236.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom