Sore Throat Remedies?

TheChickenCameFirst

Songster
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
The Countryside of Southern NH
Ok, I've been sick for the past couple days with some sort of killer cold. I think I'm over it for the most part, fever is gone, etc. I don't have strep, but a nasty sore throat! I know about the gargling with salt water, but does anyone else have any remedies that can help soothe my throat? your help is GREATLY appreciated!

Try this tea. If you don't have all the ingredients, that's ok.

To a cup of hot, not boiling water (not heated in the microwave) add:
a pinch of slippery elm bark
a pinch of cayenne
about 1/2 a regular sized lemon
a teaspoon apple cider vinegar
about 2 tsp. honey, more if you like it sweeter

3 or 4 cups of it spread out through a day really helps

have you tried honey just let it run down your throat it coats the muscles i do this maybe 4 or 5 times a year whenever i get sore throat

Cepacol came out with a new throat spray that is WICKED NUMBY!!!!!
ITs so NUMBY, my DH cant use it. But if you really need it, its awesome. It also helps a tickle cough that follows and keeps you up at night.

another drink you might try. I found this one in an old book about natural medicine. Its yummy enough for the kids to drink happily and I feel great after drinking it. This was recommended as a flu preventative.

Apple cider ( or juice if thats what you have on hand) I use a whole gallon when I make it. Its popular in our house.
a couple cloves
a cinnamon stick
a wedge of lemon.
and honey to taste

I just put in on the stove for a bit. Now I do warn you, because of the cloves you will feel like you are trying to sweat out the cold. I always feel very good afterwards though.

For a sore throat I got a honey based cough syrup from whole foods last year. I also will just drink lemon and honey thick.

Take honey and pour into a sauce pan squeeze fresh lemon juice into the honey. heat and stir till a slight boil. Let cool a bit but while still warm take 3 or 4 tablespoons as needed. My grandmother passed this to us and always soothes a sore throat. Use 1/4 cup honey and 1 lemon.

You may not find this easily, but you can get in online: Oreganol. It is the oil of oregano. You place several drops under your tongue & hold it until you can't stand it anymore (it burns kind of like spicy food). It is absorbed into the membranes & shortens colds/flu and respiratory ailments, along with sore throats. I always end up burping up what tastes like pizza (lol). I found ours at a heath food store locally, but did find it online. It is kind of expensive, as .45 fluid oz cost me almost $20. BUT.... it lasts forever! I take it at the first sign of a cold, and several times, the cold never even kicked in.... YAY! Mine is Mediterraneon Source Wild Handpicked P73. I was somewhat skeptical when I was first told about it, but it really does work.... I give it to my kids & there are NO side effects (except burping).

I hope you feel better!
hugs.gif

chamomile tea with lots of honey. I also make "hot lemonade." Juice of half a lemon and a lot of honey mixed with enough hot water to fill a coffee mug.

Back
Top Bottom