sour crop and impacted crop

bella boo

Hatching
Mar 28, 2018
bedfordshire uk
hi one of my girls bella she is a hybrid of about three years old two months ago she had a impacted crop I used liquid paraffin on her that seemed to work after a couple of day she didn't seem herself I noticed her crop was squishy I was able to make her sick (myself as well ha ha)I kept her in only gave her water that day the next day she was fine so I gave her a small amount of natural live yogurt then over the next day or so she had scrambled egg and I built it up from there all was fine for about a week then I noticed her crop was impacted again so I gave her more liquid paraffin she seemed fine again but then the squishy crop came back so I did the same thing as before but it keeps happening she has been having apple cidre in her water a friend of mine suggested giving her some bi carb of soda in her water to reduce the acid in her crop but any sugestions from you lot would be much appreciated she looks fine in herself her comb is red she does have a bit of the runs today she has been trotting about our house with the dogs and talking to the parrots my husband thinks she wants to be a house chicken as she does not want to go back in with the others there is no point in us taking her to our vets as they say chickens are disposable im afraid

My hen had an impacted crop, I did the surgery myself. I’m in no way a professional at anything but I thought well she’s gonna die if I don’t do anything or she’s gonna possibly die if I help. My vet also thinks chickens are disposable pets, and quite frankly to a point so do I. The choice to attempt the surgery out weighed the choice to not. Needles to say I was not expecting what came out to come out. My hens crop was definitely impacted it was not soft at all. It was over the size of a softball and hard. We made a you tube video. The procedure was way easier than expected. I gave her antibiotics for 5 days and she’s doing great! It’s been about 3 weeks. Since you says yours is squishy, I probably would say it’s quite impacted, but I don’t have a whole lot of experience. Hopefully some one can give you some advice!

My hen had an impacted crop, I did the surgery myself. I’m in no way a professional at anything but I thought well she’s gonna die if I don’t do anything or she’s gonna possibly die if I help. My vet also thinks chickens are disposable pets, and quite frankly to a point so do I. The choice to attempt the surgery out weighed the choice to not. Needles to say I was not expecting what came out to come out. My hens crop was definitely impacted it was not soft at all. It was over the size of a softball and hard. We made a you tube video. The procedure was way easier than expected. I gave her antibiotics for 5 days and she’s doing great! It’s been about 3 weeks. Since you says yours is squishy, I probably would say it’s quite impacted, but I don’t have a whole lot of experience. Hopefully some one can give you some advice!
thanks hun im glad your little girl is ok I have just checked bellas crop and its empty so here we go again

Back
Top Bottom