sour crop and protruding vent

KristinaB

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2017
I have a male turkey know is about a year old. In this time he has had soup crop multiple times. Last time was in July. I manged to get it under control however it is back now and worse than ever. His rectum/vent is now protruding and I don't think he has been pooping. I noticed that when he walks he has a clearish white drainage that drips out of there. He is still drinking. I am thinking about putting him down. He is the only bird I have that has ever had this issue so I don't think it can be caused by a deficiency. I wonder if there is maybe a deformity inside his crop considering he has gotten sour crop so much his whole life. I hate to see him suffer and I know there is no way he can feel good. In the past I have made him vomit as well as separate him for days to let everything clear out. Any thoughts?

It almost sounds as if he has fungal or yeast infection in his GI tract. There are antifungal drugs to use, from a vet, but I would be reluctant to use those on a meat bird. I would also think about putting him down, since he has those problems with sour crop and the prolapse. Prolapses in male birds many times are due to constipation, and that could be related to his previous crop problems. A gizzard impaction might even be involved. You could look for those things if you butcher him or do a necropsy.

Back
Top Bottom