Sour crop? HELP

EEforMe

Crowing
Sep 5, 2021
Northwest Washington, USA (near Seattle)
At the beginning of the summer one of my hens, Sugar, was attacked by an eagle. She made it but it was pretty bad. We took her to the vet and paid quite a bit for her to get stitches. Now she’s acting a little lethargic and has a pale face. Her crop feels full of fluid but not too much and I’m a little worried. The thing is she’s molting so I’m wondering if maybe it’s just that. Also the other day I heard a squabble and I just noticed a couple (15-20-25 ish) feathers next to the fence and a small bald patch on her neck/back. Maybe something grabbed her through the fence and she’s just stressed fro that? What do you guys think?

The feather spot
551F557B-6587-4C18-8371-CF84ED853685.jpeg

Her
B8A1D84E-A1FB-4A7D-A7F3-0F7E3291CC8D.jpeg
85E9BD90-FC17-4039-8FD7-25D2B3E5DDC8.jpeg
60184F65-7F93-4704-AD01-61832B9F4BB8.jpeg
ACEA6867-08D1-48BC-AD08-8D20FCF849EA.jpeg

Speckled Sussexes are actually known for Sour Crop, and other crop issues, so it wouldn't surprise me if she has it. @Wyorp Rock is very helpful when it comes to crop problems.

As far as the attacks, have you looked her completely over to be sure she doesn't have any unnoticed injuries?

Speckled Sussexes are actually known for Sour Crop, and other crop issues, so it wouldn't surprise me if she has it. @Wyorp Rock is very helpful when it comes to crop problems.

As far as the attacks, have you looked her completely over to be sure she doesn't have any unnoticed injuries?
It’s been almost three months so I doubt there’s any unnoticed injuries and yes we checked and checked as well as the vet checked. I really hope she doesn’t have it because the last chicken I had with sour crop died despite us doing everything we could (and I think everything right). Thx for responding!

Now she’s acting a little lethargic and has a pale face. Her crop feels full of fluid but not too much and I’m a little worried. The thing is she’s molting so I’m wondering if maybe it’s just that.

also she’s not super lethargic. But like when she stands still she looks sick and she’s definitely paler than the others but not by much.
She's a pretty little hen!

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink.
If it's not empty in the morning, then feel of it to help you determine how you need to treat.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

When hens molt, most of them go out of lay, so their combs usually do become paler. Sometimes they act like they don't feel very well during molt and are standoffish, they seem to not eat as well and can act a bit "off", but it's best to check her over and make sure nothing else is going on.

For my molters that struggle and act a bit droopy I offer them a wet mash of feed, they seem to like that for some reason. Scrambled eggs make a nice treat and are a good boost of protein. Of course, the others will want some of those too!

Hopefully her behavior is due to molt and when you checked her crop earlier, you felt it when she had been drinking and eating.
Keep us posted.

She's a pretty little hen!

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink.
If it's not empty in the morning, then feel of it to help you determine how you need to treat.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

When hens molt, most of them go out of lay, so their combs usually do become paler. Sometimes they act like they don't feel very well during molt and are standoffish, they seem to not eat as well and can act a bit "off", but it's best to check her over and make sure nothing else is going on.

For my molters that struggle and act a bit droopy I offer them a wet mash of feed, they seem to like that for some reason. Scrambled eggs make a nice treat and are a good boost of protein. Of course, the others will want some of those too!

Hopefully her behavior is due to molt and when you checked her crop earlier, you felt it when she had been drinking and eating.
Keep us posted.
Thanks so much!! I will do my best to check her crop tomorrow morning but my mornings before school are usually pretty rushed. With the molting thing that’s kinda what I thought too. Like you said it’s better safe than sorry. Also, her crop didn’t feel quite like a water balloon but more like a normal balloon with a few tablespoons of water in it. I’m hoping that she’s just been drinking more than eating and that’s what I felt.

I felt her crop this morning and it was still fluid filled :hit

I’m so nervous! I really want her to be ok!!! So I have the basic idea of how to treat her and I’ll do the research for the rest. Do you all think she’ll make it?
She didn't have access to food or water all night right?

Can you get a picture of her poop?

I would follow the article for treatment.

If I have a hen that has a fluid filled crop in the morning, then I treat as a Sour Crop. You may not smell a yeasty odor yet because you have caught it early.
Miconazole or Clotrimazole can be used. Give this 2X a day for 7 days, even if she gets better and the crop is normal, it's important to give for the full 7 days.

I do not withhold food or water during waking hours, I let them eat/drink free choice. I also leave them with their flock to move about as they normally would.
Some folks feel like they need to cage their hen so they can monitor closely and if that's what you really feel like you need to do, that's o.k. too.

You've noticed this early on, treat her and see how it goes. A crop can become slow for various reasons.
Try not to be nervous, you've got this:hugs

I'm going to tag our own lovely Carol (@azygous ) to chime in with thoughts, suggestions and support. She's been a tremendous mentor and help, especially with ailing hens with crop problems.

She didn't have access to food or water all night right?

Can you get a picture of her poop?

I would follow the article for treatment.

If I have a hen that has a fluid filled crop in the morning, then I treat as a Sour Crop. You may not smell a yeasty odor yet because you have caught it early.
Miconazole or Clotrimazole can be used. Give this 2X a day for 7 days, even if she gets better and the crop is normal, it's important to give for the full 7 days.

I do not withhold food or water during waking hours, I let them eat/drink free choice. I also leave them with their flock to move about as they normally would.
Some folks feel like they need to cage their hen so they can monitor closely and if that's what you really feel like you need to do, that's o.k. too.

You've noticed this early on, treat her and see how it goes. A crop can become slow for various reasons.
Try not to be nervous, you've got this:hugs

I'm going to tag our own lovely Carol (@azygous ) to chime in with thoughts, suggestions and support. She's been a tremendous mentor and help, especially with ailing hens with crop problems.

Thanks so much!! Will do!

Back
Top Bottom