Sour Crop- I need some advice

6BeachChicks

🎄 Merry Christmas 🎄
Aug 30, 2021
One of my hens has what I believe to be sour crop. I picked her up after she was out of her coop, her crop looked very full. She vomited a clear liquid, I didn’t smell it, I gave her a moment to calm down. Last spring this happened, but it turns out she ate a lot of dirt, and the vet gave us cisapride. So now I’m not sure what to do. Should I treat for sour crop or that? I smelled her beak the best I could, but only detected a small amount of an odor I didn’t recognize.

What does her crop feel like? Is it squishy, doughy, hard? Feel one of your healthy birds to figure out what a full crop feels like, so you can compare it to that.
Is she eating? Drinking? What does her poop look like?

I'm not very well versed in crop issues, but that base information would be great and hopefully someone else will chime in.

What does her crop feel like? Is it squishy, doughy, hard? Feel one of your healthy birds to figure out what a full crop feels like, so you can compare it to that.
Is she eating? Drinking? What does her poop look like?

I'm not very well versed in crop issues, but that base information would be great and hopefully someone else will chime in.
Sorry-should have added to the first post that she just woke up, and all the others had flat crops. She pecked at a few pellets, but then she stood in the coop, a sure sign she doesn’t feel good. She didn’t drink, but no one else did either.

Sorry-should have added to the first post that she just woke up, and all the others had flat crops. She pecked at a few pellets, but then she stood in the coop, a sure sign she doesn’t feel good. She didn’t drink, but no one else did either.
Ok. Feel her crop- what does it feel like?

I know. I just also know that I thought that last time, but she ate a ton of dirt. She needed a totally different treatment. Not doubting you, just saying something like this has happened before.

Back
Top Bottom