Sour Crop in a 5-day old chick? What's wrong with this baby?

Chicks&Chihuahuas

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I have a chick that hatched on Monday, and arrived Wednesday. Yesterday I noticed that she had a very large swollen "lump" on her right side. After doing some reading the only thing I can find would be sour crop. All she has eaten is chick starter. There has been no smell thus far. I tried to take a pic but she would not stop squirming! Can anyone help? What can I do for her? One of the others arrived with a prolapsed vent. Not a good week for baby chicks!

ry%3D400

Thanks!

Thanks. I'm really worried about her. I may take her to the Farmer's market with me in the morning and see if any of the more experienced "chicken people" can help. There is a vet trained in poultry science that is often there so hopefully I'll be able to find her.

If a chick/chicken is sick (with sour crop or cocci or any one of a hundred other ailments) they will show it by acting depressed, not moving much, acting sleepy, not eating or drinking, and so on. If that chick isn't showing any symptoms other than a large crop, it probably means its a little piggie and just ate a lot of crumbles. Unless you see some other symptoms, stop worrying.

MotherJean-

If it's just an overly full crop how long should it take to go down? It's been this way for more than 24 hours. Should I take her away from the food and just give her water? I picked up some mineral oil today at work in case it did turn out to be a sour crop, as I read that can be of help.
Thanks!

If the chick is not acting ill, the size of the crop is pretty unimportant. In bids that are allowed to be in darkness (sundown to sunup) their crop will pretty much empty overnight. In chicks under a light 24 hours, the crop never has a chance to fully empty because they are constantly eating. Do not withhold food, especially in a small chick like that. If you are concerned, give nothing to this bird except chick starter, cooked eggs, or yogurt, and water - no grit, no "treats," no grass, etc.

I'm not sure what it ended up being. She passed away yesterday.
sad.png

I have 2 more with constant runny diarrhea. Not a good batch of chickies this time!

Back
Top Bottom