Sour crop- is it to late to save her?

The antibiotic "overuse" mission is overblown. It applies mainly to commercial animal operations. It has become such an over-pounded issue, now it's nearly impossible for a backyard flock keeper to get them to save the lives of their chickens. As long as you observe the egg withdrawal recommendations, this is not going to be a problem in any way.

You did exactly right in starting her on the sulfa. And coincidentally, it happens to be the precise antibiotic you want to use in this case. In addition to the sulfa, start her on a Corid drench by oral syringe and Corid drinking water. The Corid drench is undiluted Corid at .1ml per pound of body weight or close enough. Do that once each day for three days in addition to Corid in the drinking water two teaspoons per gallon or reduce it proportionally according to how much all your chickens drink in a day.

Mix a fresh batch each day for five days. Wait a week and do another five days, but without the three-day drench.

The blood means she has an inflammation and likely infection in her intestines from coccidiosis.
Do I treat all my chickens with the corid or just her? All of them have been vaccinated for cocci when they were little.

If you wish to know for sure, take a stool sample to your vet and ask for a fecal float for coccidia and worms. But continue with the sulfa regardless. It's possible to have a bacterial infection in the intestines without coccidia that also produces blood. Getting on it right away will prevent permanent damage.
Should I also continue with the monistat? It’s okay to do the antibiotic, monistat and the corid together?

Back
Top Bottom